1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News USB4 combines USB 3.2, Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Mar 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Is that correct? Dual lane is 20Gb/s and TB3 uses four lanes for 40Gb/s. I spent a lot of time searching for a longer full bandwidth TB3 cable and encountered hundreds claiming to be just that until you dig down to discover they are "only" 20Gb/s cables.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The interesting part is only going to come when the actual spec is available, and we can tell whether this supersedes USB 3.2 (host Thunderbolt/DP/HDMI alternate modes supported-but-optional parts of the protocol) or operates in parallel as a 'high end' spec - basically replacing Thunderbolt 3 - to allow simplified branding of "USB 4 port is best USB port".

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, no it is not: it's the result of my misreading the, in my defence very badly phrased, following line:
    The fact the "using existing USB Type-C cables" is referred to by number of lanes and the "over 40Gbps-certified cables" is referred to by speed totally confuzzled my brain: in actual fact, they're saying you'll get 20Gb/s (or 10Gb/s, if you're not on USB 3.2 Gen 2x2) using two lanes on existing USB cabling and 40Gb/s requires new cables which are, presumably, four-lane and may or may not be any different to Thunderbolt 3 four-lane cables.

I'll go fix, ta!

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wow, that was poorly phrased - you'd think they would try harder, given it's their job to promote it.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It did what it was supposed to do: confuse matters to make marketing easier. Can't break a promise you never made.

Tags: Add Tags