1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 3Com 3C905-TX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neon, 8 May 2002.

1. neon

neon What's a Dremel?

I've heard a few bad things about these particular nics, what do u guys think, is it worth me buying some for 10quid each or what?

2. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

Bad things? What sort of bad things have you heard about the 905's?

So far as I can tell, from my own experience and other peoples accounts, the 905 is a very solid highquality 10/100 card. I've never had one fail, indeed they come with a life time guarantee the last time I checked.

At ten pounds a pop, that's cheap as chips. New, you're talking about £30 - £40 to pick one of these up.

Well worth it in my own personal opinion :)

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

got one up from that and was very happy with it....damn happy actually best nic card ever, and i had to buy another one as it was too damn nice to mod it...

4. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

I got one in my other box and love it..

-scoob8000

5. dwace

dwace What's a Dremel?

Haven't heard of any.

Sorry I can't say that I've heard of any news on bad nic cards. But there are some nics that perform slighly better that others. For one, I wouldn't purchase the unpopular name brand nics. I've purchased a nic that was a no name brand and it was terrible.

I've come to rely on 3 COM, I think their a fairly decent company. Although for some reason clients on out lan get disconnected from the PDC for no reason.

-Spawnhunter-

Last edited: 9 May 2002
  6. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

905's are like a de facto standard. Very solid card, and at that price you can't beat it.

7. felix the cat

3Com are under many peoples opinion the best network card manufacturer out there...they do make very very solid cards....

8. Jaz

Jaz Banned

Netgears are good too :p

9. felix the cat

netgears are very good budget cards.....if u got too much cash get 3com....mythoughts anyway....

10. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

i dont think there are better cards out there than 3com, i have put them in every machine i added to my lan & put them in my mates pc's & theve had no problems, from win 95 to XP & linux, BeOS, all ahve recognised the card & used them no problem, i usually run a 3com etherlink busmaster (pci) & that is a fantastic card, bnc rj45 & another wird lookin port aht i cant work out what it is (think serial but a bit bigger)

11. felix the cat

thats a brilliant card as it can utilise all 3 different types of network interfaces...

the advantage of a 3com is that you cant go wrong with it....will always work...nomatter what enviroment...

12. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

yea but it seems abit of a waste as one of the cards is in my p1333 but what can i say i bought my duron pre built & the bloke said to bring in my otehr machine & he would put a nic in to both of them & set up networking for no extra charge so you cant go wrong 2 3com network cards installed & setup for nothing as well as a cheap system (£800 when the duron 700, geforce 2mx was cutting edge & the only thing i have added is a cd-rw & put it in a modded full tower)
    anyway i cant belive that people use cheap NIC cards when you may as well wait for a couple of days & buy a branded & that card could last for a good few machines
    anyway another question does anyone kno what the hell that other port on my 3com is (think serial but bigger) as its been bugging me since i got the machine

13. neon

neon What's a Dremel?

the AUI (Attachment Unit Interface) is just another way of connecting to a network, its a 15 pin connector.

Tags: