1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 3d Printer hell!

Discussion in 'General' started by PaulJG, 21 Mar 2018.

1. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Just bought/made one of these Geeetech Prusa i3 W 3d printers.. but documentation sorta drops off once you've made the thing.. so here I am with this 'thingy' and lots of 'thingys' left in the box - and no idea what to do now?

Has anyone out there made one of these things, and can recommend any good sites for starting out!? - even knowing where I'm suppose to feed the filament would be a start!

2. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

Is there a Facebook group? Some 3d printers have decent support on there. Not sure if this is one of them...

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's pretty much identical to my Anet A8.

Thingiverse and yeggi are a couple decent places to start, if you're looking for some designs to get started test printing. Otherwise, youtube is a great resource for new starters looking to get going.

If you've built this from a kit, you'll know the filament feeds into the threaded tube on top of the extruder - it is a bit tricky to line it up and it's spring loaded so you have to press down while you feed the filament to begin with - once it's in, the stepper motor will feed it. Didn't you receive a usb stick or flash memory chip with anything other than the build instructions on there?

Seriously, search for prusa i3 on youtube and start form there.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2018
  5. creative

creative 500rwhp

I have the Pro B version. What bits do you have left? :D

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Looks like a fairly standard Prusa i3 clone. Lots and lots of resources out there for 3D printers - try looking for information on Prusa i3-type printers rather than your specific model. They all use the same the same fairly basic designs: cartesian-XZ print head, Marlin-like firmware, arduino-type controller, threaded rods or lead screws for Z axis motion, etc. Your first step, once you've got your head around 3D printing basics, should be to calibrate the printer: you'll need to calibrate all three axes and the print head itself (flow rate, steps per mm, etc). There's lots of info out there for this type of printer, but I appreciate that it can be daunting for someone new to this.

One tip: do some research on how to tell the difference between threaded rods and lead screws, and check whether your printer uses lead screws on the Z axis. If it doesn't then that's an upgrade you'll want to make fairly quickly: threaded rods will wear out and you will lose accuracy in the Z-axis - an accurate Z-axis is critical for proper calibration and prints that don't look like a mess. There was a time when kits often came with threaded rods instead of lead screws to save cost - hopefully that trend has died off, but it's always worth checking. Threaded rods are fasteners, they're not designed for linear motion - lead screws are.