1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 3d TV in three years?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Enforcer

Enforcer What's a Dremel?

OK we all know this would come, wheres the smellovision tho? i want smel-o-vizion

3. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Great - like our generation needs another reason to watch TV.
    3D video games would be cool, though!

4. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

Considering how long companies are taking to move to HD, some programs are still filmed in 4:3, I doubt this will be around in 3 years.

But we can always hope...

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Combine this with the Nintendo Wii and I think we have a winner ;)

6. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Yeah...I think it was about 15 years ago when my parents went out to buy a new TV...and the sales guy was telling them *not* to invest too much because in a few years analog TV wouldn't work anymore and they'd need a digital set.

Yada yada yada, 15 years later, they've got the same TV, working with an aerial on the roof (ie: there's no cable box converting a digital signal to analog), and still getting every channel they used to. Using CheckHD/Antennaweb websites, they can't even get more than 1 digital channel in their area yet (and maybe they never will...while a digital signal doesn't get "degraded" like analog does, it has a lower useful transmission distance because you either get enough signal strength or you don't...CheckHD says that if they were a few miles closer to the broadcast site, they'd get just about every channel...but for now only analog reaches out to where they live...and this is in the Los Angeles/Orange County, CA area!!!).

While the advantages of a cheap-o TV lasting for 15-20 years are numerous, some of us would like technology to move forward a bit faster....but congress keeps pushing back the shut-off date for analog (what is it...2009 now?) and manufacturers keep producing analog-only TV sets.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I've been to Sharp labs and seen their holographic technology, it's pretty cool, but there's no way it'll become mainstream, especially in three years.

Quite good in games though.

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

To be quite honest, I see no potential for holographic display units used as a television, gaming "screen," or anything of the such. You're going to be severely limited in the depth of the picture as to how big of a display you can actually purchase. Sure it'd work nice for sitcoms where there's almost always walls/and end to the backdrop but what about films or games where miles upon miles are shown in the background? What happens to the chick flicks that show a sunset/sun rise? There's potential in using the technology as a communication device and topographic mapping but beyond that, I really don't see anything else. My money is still on parabolic displays.

9. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Actually they didn't claim holographic displays to be awailable in 3 years, they meant the Lower-end technologies, such as stereoscopic 3D that have been present for many years. But I have to agree that 3 years is a bit optimistic. I think there is to much of these optimistic thoughts , über hig-tech products that scientists claim to be awailable in a few years. For example,,I red in a sciencepaper 4 years ago that in a few years we would have OLED displays as big as the entire room and they would be super-cheap...I have a OLED display in my mp3 but its not big :)

10. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

CSS in 3d! That would take wall hacking to a whole new level

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I've been waiting for this (3D LCD) to become afordable since I read this (from May 2001 - 5.25 years ago). However, I just found this (3D lens add on (but only 15" & 17")) and would be really interested in reading a review by a website I trust. - hint hint

12. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

I think the main thing about 3D TV (or computer games for that matter) is the content. The current cinematography is more than 100 years old. They would essentially have to reinvent the way to shoot the movie, present the sceene and all that to take advantage of the 3D. This is what's going to take a lot of time.

13. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

on the technology side, what ever happened to the rotary technology, as most of you have probably seen the rotating LED clocks like so http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__WI701

I happened to get that particular one as a christmas gift. I remember hearing way back that they were going to use the same principle but instead have the led's be on a sort of propeller design so that at any given rotation there would be a set of led's at any depth (if you see what I'm saying) multiply this by 2 or so blades and on every rotation the picture would be giving a good refresh rate. The only problem I remember is that there would always be a blank spot where the shaft would be.
    This seemed like the most econimically feasible way to make a holographic display with a decent picture using off the shelf components that could be viewed from every angle by mulitple viewers

anyone know what the technical terminology for this technology is called and why I haven't heard about it recently? or is it around. there's already kits around to build the rotating LEd clocks. If you had some math and eletrical engineering smarts it wouldn't be hard to one of an propeller design

14. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Didn't/Don't Samsung laptops already use this technology? Sure I saw it somewhere...

15. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

3D games! :D
    The delay in the release of HD titles is a delay in transfer from the original to the new media. The originals are (usually) on 35mm film, which has a resolution of 4,096 x 4,096.

I'm not sure what the 4:3 aspect ratio has to do with 3D films.

16. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Having played games in 3D for the past 5 years I'm always amused by articles such as this. There are many many ways to make 3D displays, most of which are not very cost effective.

Lenticular splitting involves sandwiching two displays together then adjusting their position by using active cameras to figure out where the user's eyes are. This unfortunately limits the usable sitting area for the display and makes display for crowds and issue.

Display systems that require glasses are much cheaper, but also depend on which type you choose and how you implement them. Polarized stereoscopic setups provide the best picture quality and are the easiest to setup.

No matter how you slice it there is ALWAYS a downside to 3D. It's not beneficial for every kind of video or every kind of game. I don't see how 3Dimensional displays could become commonplace or even supported by the broadcast industry because they have remained a novelty for more than a century.

17. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

yaaaaay kitty!

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

True but if the costs involved at all stages (production, transmission, display) were close then... I suspect it will happen eventually but not soon.

[Off Topic]
    What system are you using? I keep looking into it but the costs are too high for me... (I'm most interested in lenticular splitting at the moment)
    [/Off Topic]

Tags: Add Tags