1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 3g Router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oasked, 16 Apr 2010.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Hi guys,

Recently moved up to a flat in Edinburgh which I'm sharing with a friend and we're looking to setup the internet.

Neither of us needs a landline, but we both want a decent internet connection. BT have just told us that we need an engineer to come around to activate our line - which will delay the installation process by another 2 weeks and mean 1/2 day off work (as well as a possible £120 fee).

So, as I'm typing this from a 3g connection (dongle - plugged into computer), I was wondering about the possibility of a 3G router.

Does anybody know anything about 3G routers and a good monthly plan to go with one? Would like decent speeds etc if possible / decent usage allowances.

TIA.

:)

2. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

3G router, the router actually is in general based on the addition of a 3G dial-up part, is divided into two kinds of internal and external, internal is to buy a built-in 3G module, built-in router's PCB board, insert the SIM router card, the receiving base station signals to the Internet. External USB 3G network cards that will be connected to the 3G router's USB interface to achieve dial-up Internet access, which is to be shared online.

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

You could get one of these. I have one sitting in a cupboard unused (albeit just the router, no antenna/mains plug/or documentation) but all these can be picked up for buttons. I would let this go for a couple cases of beer.

4. amarzella

amarzella What's a Dremel?

5. blighter

blighter What's a Dremel?

I'm using on of these right now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-3G-Wir...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271598984&sr=8-1

You supply the usb modem and it does the rest. Had no problems with it. There is a compatibility list for modems, I'm using the O2 Huawei E160 I believe.

As for packages with high usage allowances... good luck. Mobile broadband providers are still desperately trying to recoup the cost of their 3G networks by the looks of it.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Thanks for the info guys, managed to stream the F1 forum off iPlayer off my USB 3g dongle today - quality. Shame it's going to have used up a fair chunk of my 3Gb limit for the month! (PAYG)

Will have to discuss with my flatmate, but you've found some good options. Cheers.