1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 4 University Students need the internet split to 4 machines.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maniac618, 13 Aug 2005.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You just need a normal phone line! The microfilter will come with the ADSL router!

2. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

Are you serious? I have ADSL here at home and a BT guy had to come along and fix this box thing to the phone socket (looked like more than just the filter), looked like a proper big job.

So we won't need an engineer? Just need to fit the microfilter? ok.

3. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

The 'ADSL socket' is just a normal phone point, you pay for broadband and they convert your line from a standard telephone line to ADSL. Its all done at the exchange so no one comes to the house. It usually takes 7-10 days and from that point to the end of your contract your line will be ADSL.

4. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Go with a reliable company for broadband, avoid tiscali and bulldog, both have bad reputations for customer service, ie little to none. Check out net4nowt to compare companies.
    I've setup broadband for my house, my partners house, her grandfather and his mac and my folks. Never once has an 'engineer' had to come out. Plusnet have a good deal at the moment, 2mb line for £14.99 might be worth a look, no bandwidth cap but as with all broadband companies these days they won't be happy if you max out your capacity 24/7 with downloads of pron, warez and torrents. If you surf 24/7 you'll be fine even with 4 online at once but try to keep the downloads to under 20GB a month as you share the line with 50 other people and you kill everyone elses connection.

5. MrWillyWonka

Bulldog has a reliable internet service, but has the worse customer support apparently! Go for UKonline if you can!

I got my broadband upgrade completed in 14 hours!

6. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

Will do, thanks a lot for this help. :rock:

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I play fine with 54mbps on one pc playing online games and lan games. If you are going to be doing alot of large filetransfers between each others pc then the 108mbps will speed things up as the 54mbps will be slow. But fr games its fine.

Also I dont know if its just me and correct me if im wrong but if one of you gets a 108mbps card and the router is 54mbps then your only going to ever run at 54mbps max. The 108mbps is wasted unless you all have one and the router is 108mbps. :)

8. MrWillyWonka

You are correct! That should've been obvious really, rather like 10mbps and 100mbps!

Tags: