1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs 40/44" LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N4N01D, 12 Aug 2007.

1. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Ive been thinking about changing me telly to a LCD, i need at least 2 HDMI, 2 Scart, 1 PC (even better if there is a DVI) Has anyone any suggestions. All my other stuff is Panasonic but if its not worth it I dont mind changing... does anyone have any suggestions etc?

Edit - also are there anythings I should be looking out for... eg someone was saying make sure its full hd or something?

Last edited: 12 Aug 2007
  2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

What they meant by "full" HD is 1080p ;) The majority of screens are still 1080i - which is basically an up-scaled 720p picture.
    A 1080p screen is a genuine ["full HD"] 1080p ;)

I bought meself this rather spiffing 42" Toshiba 42X3030DB [1080p] a couple of months back :rock:

I thought it was a bargain @ £896.00 then... but it's dropped in price to 'just' £860 now - which is a steal [IMO] for what is quite a large 1080p screen :clap: :hip:
    No DVI though :(

If you count it among your final choices... make sure you're looking at that one I've linked to - i.e. the DB model!
    Only... they have at least one other model with a very similar name (42X3030B?), but only the DB model is 1080p :idea:

If you're based in the States, then ignore all of the above :D

If you are in the States though... I know a couple of fellas on another forum who own 42"/47" Westinghouse 1080p screens, and they're equally as happy with those, as I am with mine :thumb:

On the Pro's side... those screens have a DVI [-D] connection :cooldude:
    The only real 'Con' I can see, is that they only have an analogue tuner - not a digital/DVB-T tuner (or both) :sigh:

3. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

Cheers, thanks for the info. Im from the UK... id been having a wee look on this site http://www.beyondtelevision.co.uk some of the prices seem pretty good but i think they are the 1080i not 1080p... I take it that there are 2 hdmi on your tv and 2 scart?

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

As far as I know, superior picture quality should be found in Sony, Sharp, and Samsung LCD televisions (or was it RCA?); it mostly depends on how good the embedded image processing unit is, or if they used three image processing units (RGB).

An FYI: Top-quality plasma home television sets are dominated by Pioneer hands down. Absolutely gorgeous and effortlessly stands out amongst the crowd when compared side-by-side at retailers. Just in case you decide to shop for a plasma set.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Check out this TV from that site you mentioned Here or the 46" varient, supports 1080p on all inputs unlike the tosh and has good blacks and colour etc.

6. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

Hmm soo tempting!!! I'd like Panasonic but they are stupid prices for the same spec :(

7. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

Some issues: Do remember that going from 40" to 42" actually increases the screen area by 10% not 5%. Have a look at the Sharp LC42XD1E - was around £1300 before Xmas, but been going down every since and around £850, though look out for extended warranties being bundled for not much more (eg EmpireDirect 3yr). The only downside is that its VGA socket doubles as component in and is only 1080i, whereas the HDMI and panel are full 1080p. Loads more info on this whole topic over in AVFORUMS at http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

8. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Id say spend £1000 on a 52" 1080p I know you can get it from a store beside me for that price, think its the samsung not compeltely positive so Im sure you could find a online retailer for similiar. Has 2 hdmi ports not positive bought rest will find out more if you wanted.

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thats because choosing a TV solely by specification is going to lead to disappointment and is just idiotic tbh. The Panasonic costs more because it is a better tv with a better picture. Use the specifications and reviews as a guide to make a short list then go out and look at the TVs and find the one with the picture you like the best.

Remember, more pixels do not make a better picture.

10. Hazardous

Yup.

Open the link I put up [again], then click on the 'Complete Product Details' button, to see the full specifications... but they include "2 scart sockets / 2 HDMI connection(s)" ;)

11. Hazardous

I'm not in the market for one now of course... but I'd still like to know the name of the shop/store selling a 52" 1080p screen (make/model?) for 'just' £1,000 anyway :eeek: :jawdrop:

Tags: