1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 41 Million Licensed Americans May be Unfit for Roads (take the test)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gooey_GUI, 20 May 2009.

1. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

http://www.gmacinsurance.com/SafeDriving/PressRelease.asp

driving test

Dang it! I got one wrong. Steady yellow light of all things. I thought the answer was "Shove the gas pedal to the floor to make sure you are out of the intersection before light turns red." :lol: (not really)

I suppose most of you will have to substitute the opposite direction. The test might give some prep if you ever come to the states.

Freebie for non-US drivers 10. A diamond shaped sign means:
    warning

The most harrowing drive, in a car, I've ever taken was a NY taxi in Manhattan. :nono:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Meh, 75%, only things I failed on were the US-specific questions.

Stop both lanes of traffic for a school bus? Are the kids not clever enough not to get run down? :p

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

75%, likewise.

It's not really surprising such a high number of US drivers would fail. As I understand it, the driving tests over there are a joke compared to tests in other countries.

4. Darv

Darv Bling!!

85%, got the questions about the flashing traffic signals wrong.

For the fog question I said fog lights only, since they are lower to the ground they reflect less of the fog than dipped headlights. I was under the impression that when it's seriously foggy you should put on your fog lights and switch to side lights :eyebrow:

5. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

85%

Surprised that you have to stop for a bus when it's on the OTHER side of the road.

Oh, and question 8 suggests that undertaking is ok?!

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

80% but some questions were weirdly constructed and the choices weren't clear enough either. Had it been in french and better made, I would have scored more

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, let natural selection sort them out. :p

8. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

80% aswell, got the US specific stuff wrong.

However, this question below.

1. A pedestrian is crossing your lane but there is no crosswalk. You should:
    A. Make sure the pedestrian sees you, but continue driving
    B. Stop and let the pedestrian cross the street
    C. Carefully drive around the pedestrian​

JayWalking is illegal right? Then why would i stop to let that criminal cross? I chose A as as long as the person sees you i would assume they have the intelligence to stop and not walk into me?

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

1) I'm not suprised, the bus doesn't always stop on the "correct" side of the road, or kids may be late.

2) Undertaking is not classed as an offense in North America (inc. Canada), I was amazed too but my sister confirmed it

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

80% here.
    A couple of US specific ones caught me out, like being able to overtake on either side of a car.

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I got the one about following distance wrong.. I put 10 seconds.. it was 3.. I guess I'm just too paranoid and prefer keeping people well ahead of me.. *shrug*

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

70%. Suprised about Under-Taking. Although America's roads are meant to be quite bad anyway.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you drive 10 seconds behind the person in front you'll never get anywhere... Maybe you can't count seconds. :p

I don't particularly like the idea of undertaking on the freeways and stuff, but it seems to work for you guys.

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

90%. signal 100feet? not enough onthe highway too much on a slow road. Mep.
    And I dont like to pass on the right on a multilane highway so I put you can only pass on the right if someone else is turning left and you have a lane to pass them on the right.

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

One thing to remember also is each state has it's own test based upon it's state laws.
    Take Colorado for example. It has a law about 'tailgating' - following too closely. You can be fined and it's 4 points against your driving record. Doesn't have to be an accident just a policeman sighting you too close to the car in front is reason for stopping the driver.

If you do plan to come here and get a license, please get the state exams booklets. Colorado is tougher than Iowa.

john

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

75%, not bad for a British driver I suppose.

I am not sure I agree with this one though:

I would do whatever would mean the emergency vehicle was slowed down the least. If I slowed down in front of it, trying to get out of the way then it might have to brake sharply, and with that potentially being an ambulance carrying a patience with a broken back, that isn't good.

edit: In America, can you pass your test in one state and then move to another state permanently without problems? and do you have the same set up as here, that you pass a "theory" (farce) test then a practical? oh, and how many points can you get before you lose your license? Here, you get 12 and you lose it, or 6 in the first two years.

17. DarkLord7854

People are usually behind me though :p

You HAVE to undertake here, because people don't know how to drive and they'll drive on any lane no matter how fast or slow they're going, so if they're going the speed limit in the fast lane, and you're coming up on them, they'll just sit there and you'll have to go around them or sit behind them.

People are retarded on the road here, it's ridiculous.

18. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

I would like to know this as well, as I already have :lol: I guess I'll find out when my license is up for renewal...

Also, along with the written test you have to take a drive with someone from the Department of Motor Vehicles to show them that you have a decent idea of what you are doing, otherwise you have to go back at a later date (at least one week later iirc) and do it all over again. Even then you are limited as to the number of people that can be in the car with you if you are all under a certain age.

19. DarkLord7854

Maybe it's different per state but here it's really easy.

You take a written exam which you can take 2 in a day and consists of 20 questions, 10 of which are purely based off road signs (such as Stop, Merging lane, etc).

After that you take the "practical" exam which involves driving around at 25mph in a closed course, making an "emergency" stop (from 30mph) without locking the wheels (easy to do with ABS cars), make a drive-in park, a 3-point turn, demonstrate you can stop at a Stop sign, and you're done, you get your license.

If you fail the practical exam, you can take it again the next day.

AFAIK you can go to another state without retaking your license, so your license is good from state to state since people who go to college out of state don't retake their licenses.

20. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

70% but I'm in blighty and I don't drive.. it was the ones about flashing lights, schoolbus and the diamond shaped thing that got me.. ah well