Graphics 4870 Atomic or GTX 275? + General first build advice =]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by October, 17 Oct 2009.

1. Crazy Buddhist

Crazy Buddhist Minimodder

So you're looking at 600W or 650W to make sure you have a PSU that's good for 2-3 years +

bagman says the NorthQ might break which is entirely possible I don't know them - which is why I also threw an Antec in that post - though that one is not really all that at 550W and will be underpowered in a year if you count for ageing

... £65 - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650w-Antec-EarthWatts-120mm-Low-Noise-80-PLUS-certified6-Sata-2-PCI-e - get's you a nice Antec with 650W nominal.

or £62/85 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132563 for a corsair 550W with a five year guarantee thrown in :)

On the card .. maybe because they're great cards? I still haven't forgiven Nvidia for removing the video overlay theatre mode for second screens .. bad people ... :(

CrazyB

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

don't o for that psu it is good but it is quite noisey but +1 for the antec earthwatts 650w

3. October

October Mariachi Style

Thinking I might just hafta suck it up and drop an extra £30 on the Corsair 650w, the Antecs nice but I really wanna go modular, this is gonna be a tidy case :nono: :dremel:

Think I'm about ready to go make nice with the bank fo some overdraftage :worried:

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i have a non-modular psu and my case is very tidy and i have a very cramped nzxt pazer box and it couldn't be neater

5. hrtz_Junkie

hrtz_Junkie Controversial by Nature

I think in this the 4870 will do as to get anything better will put you over budget, however I dont think it will run crysis +warhead, wars, on max at your monitors rezolution.

For that you would need 4870x2 or any nvidea card over a gtx260

(or any ati 5 series)

6. October

October Mariachi Style

Yeah I'm ok with dropping little in resolution, as long as I can play them nice n smooth :D Nothin beats a speed run followed by some stealth shooting followed by some more getaway running (accompanied by high-pitched giggling) :thumb:

Mostly want the big monitor for editing, Wii, TV (I'll get a card eventually) and generally doing stuff from bed with comfort :lol:

Well...big res gaming is obviously gonna be fun when I can pull it off :D

7. Jejking

Jejking Who's the man?

Another +1 for Antec EW... I am using the 430w and 500w models for exactly two years and I am still very happy with them. No strange readings, doesn't suck too much power, happy.

8. mattc9305

mattc9305 What's a Dremel?

I'd definately get a bigger PSU. At least 600W.