1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 4K GPU for SandyBridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewelshbrummie, 23 Nov 2016.

1. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Need some advice for a computer at work.

We need a video source that can provide a 4K, 60Hz video signal via HDMI for testing TVs. We don't need any gaming performance, just the ability to get a 4K, 60Hz HDMI 2.0 compliant signal on a TV.

The Amazon Fire 4K box is out as out internet isn't strong enough for 4K Netflix (they recommend 25MBps minimum, we get 15 and have no fibre or Virgin media access)

We have an old computer that has the following:

CPU: i3 2120
    Mobo: Asus P8H61-M LX2
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    GPU: ATI 5770

Obviously that won't work but would just getting a new graphics card do the job? Would the CPU cause any issues?

I have my eye on the 1050 as being suitable as we ideally need something that can directly output via HDMI and not displayport being converted (which rules out anything below the NVidia 900 series or the current gen AMD).

My question: would this work?

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

What about an RX 460? Scan have this one, which according to the specs has HDMI 2.0 and comes in at £95.

Edit: Oh, and everthing else looks fine.

3. thewelshbrummie

Thanks for the suggestion but we may need to go NVidia anyway as we need to replicate home use cases and with the Steam hardware survey showing NVidia at 57% to AMD being nearly at 24% that may well be the deciding factor.

Thanks for the reply, answers the main question.

/Thread closed

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well if it requires the use of a not yet released cpu, and requires a specific browser then I won't be renewing my subscription and instead will take out a prime subscription as they don't have stupid requirements for 4K.

What is funny is that people have been releasing 4k videos from Netflix for download on certain sites so these, requirements are not going to stop it and in my oppinion all it will do is drive people away who want 4K.

6. thewelshbrummie

I thought that only applied to the Edge browser?

Even so it's irrelevant for the reasons stated in my OP, hence this thread (otherwise we'd just use our Fire TV box). It's a work setup for testing TVs and HDCP/EDID issues so a copy of Big Buck Bunny is all we need, it's simply about getting a 4K 60Hz signal to the TV.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nah, its on top of requiring edge.

Due to the severity of the restrictions I thought it only fair to drop in the warning since 4k Netflix had been mentioned (even if you aren't going to use it either way).