1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Meets TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ducarii, 8 Oct 2004.

1. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

I've got some old 5.1 Creative labs speakers which I'm about to replace, so I want to use the old ones for my TV. They have the 3 wires, green, orange, and black, so how can I get those imputs to got to regular RCA style plugs?

Do they make an adapter for that type of thing, I know they do for regular 2.1's, as I have that adapter, but I havn't ever seen a 5.1 one. Any sugestions, tips?

Any help is much appriciated.

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

The easy part is getting all of the plugs to RCA, all you need are 3 female 3.5mm stereo jacks to 2 male RCA adapters.

The tricky part is combining them all. I take it your TV only has a single stereo-out, which means that you'd need all 3 sets of RCA plugs on your speakers to attach to a single set of RCA jacks. That means lots of splitters. 4 to be precise.

Even then, it might not all work, specifically regarding the center speaker and sub. They share a single plug (orange). When connected to a 5.1 sound card, the sub is sent it's own low-frequency signals, while the center speakers is sent its own audio information, usually dialogue. Connecting everything the way I just described will cock things up to say the least. Your center speaker will either be outputting either left or right channel information, while the subwoofer will be sent a whole bunch of audio data that's out of its range. Not sure how it'd respond to that.

Finally, there's the fact that your final result, provided everything works, might be incredibly underwhelming. Home theater and computer speaker setups are much different. The former are intended for a rather large sound field, while the latter has a much smaller sound field.

I'm not saying don't try, I'm just saying don't expect an epiphany.