1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 5870 Asus V2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cgthomas, 30 Jun 2010.

1. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I'm looking to replace my GTX 260 with a 5870.
    Thing is, I'm not sure which Radeon is best to choose.

Yesterday I found the revised Asus V2 http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-229-AS

Any thoughts on this one?
    Looks nice, has a custom cooler and bit tech liked the original on which this one is based.

Shall I get this one or are you able to suggest a good alternative that runs great and quietly for a price tag that doesn't go over the £360?

Your help is appreciated

2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

the sapphire vapor-x models are pretty good, very quiet with the vapor-x cooling system.

i heard there were a couple of good deals in the marketplace forum ;)

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

My first thought is: Would you consider buying another 260 for SLI? This will dramatically outperform a 5870.

If you do have your heart set on a 5870, look at this one - you even get a free game!

4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I think you mean under-perform.

5870 is dx11 and will perform a lot better than 2x gtx 260 in SLI

5. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I actually wanted DX11, does anybody know why suddenly lots of those 5870's increased in price (+£20 - £30)

Last edited: 30 Jun 2010
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Not really - two 260s are the equivalent of a 295 which will still happily trounce a 5870 in DX9/10.

Well, since you want DX11, you don't have much choice, go for a 5870! The reason the 5870 has increased in price is that the Fermi chips have turned out to not be competitive.

7. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I was thinking of the same reason, thought something else was the cause.

But what do u think of that new Asus?

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Just because somethings shiny and new doesnt mean its better. If it were me and i already had a GTX260 i would just get another (provided you have sufficient power), and save the huge chuck of money saved for something else.

Seeing as you really want DX11 and want it now then the 5870 is the only real option. Go for the cheapest available imo the overclocked cards are generally not worth it, unless you get a really good cooler for the price as well.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No point IMHO. Just get the cheapest good make of card you can. As 13eightyfour says, pre-overclocked cards aren't worth the premium.

Also, Scan's a better company to buy from - you also qualify for free shipping since you have over 20 posts (check here for details). If I was buying a 5870 (and didn't already have AVP) the card I recommended is the one I'd buy.

10. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I was thnking of getting a decent make stock 5870, then I saw the Asus card which isn't pre-overclocked. It allows for aggressive overclocking (I don't OC my cards anyways).

I only thought of getting it because it has a custom copper heatsink, bigger fan, more features and nice / average 5870 price.
    I would like to see Bit Tech review it, as they already previewd its predecessor.

I'll keep watching your suggestions,

thanks

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Just get a stock HD5870, it isn't too hot anyhow. It might be slightly louder, but it isn't really worth the extra cash to get the V2.