1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 6600 GT 128mb AGP Cooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathrow, 9 Apr 2006.

1. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

My friend is having some problems with his 6600 GT. Hes getting artefacts in BF2 and says the card is at 60 degrees when he drops out of BF2. I thought the problem might be the temp being marginally too high for it to put up with as its only got one of those tiny heat sinks that 6600's used to come with. So heres my 2 questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that his card is getting a bit too warm or is his card b0rked?
    2. If it is that its getting warm, where can we find an aftermarket cooler that will also cool the bridge that AGP has.

Thanks.

2. csharp

csharp What's a Dremel?

I dont think that it's because of heat.. 6600GT stats decrease clocks when it goes to 127°c, so even if it its at 80°c, it doesnt matter.. There are MINOR problems with 6600GT (i allso have some).. Say to your friend that he should try another driver..

-csharp-
    (sorry for my bad english :E)

3. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

I'm running a 6600GT AGP with a VF-700CU from Zalman. It was XFX, so it came with a decent HSI bridge sink which remained stock. I get between 40 and 60 no load, so he's probably getting good temps. Then again, my fan is running at 5V and the thermal paste is a bit borked, so I'd say that 60 on stock is pretty good heat-wise, especially for stock.
    If you're looking for a good cooler, try the VF-700CU. If he needs a bridge sink, Zalman also makes one of those. They both are good, and the VF700-CU comes with a fan-header-splitter thingy which offers 5 and 12 volts.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Dude, reseat it. Works wonders. ;)

5. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

So, do we think its a problem with the card or the temps?

I dont really want to tell him to remove the cooler and replace it or reseat it, if the problem is the card itself, we think its BFG so he can get it replaced on warranty.

6. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: Try different drivers and ideally another PC too. If it's still problematic then utilise the warranty, any modding will render the warranty void.

7. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

have a go at underclocking the card slightly and see if that helps, if it does then it may well be that either the mem or the gpu is dieing. Try underclocking each individually and see which one makes a difference. Also what type of artifacts are you getting? Big jaggedy polygons, or small surface or texture defects?

8. rav666

rav666 What's a Dremel?

i had a similar problem , the artefacts i had where like snow or black snow depending on the color but i just bought the card and so returned it

Tags: