Graphics 6800's own x800 xt pe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gangsta, 22 Jul 2004.

1. will889

will889 What's a Dremel?

I think people will find that Doom3 is one game only, and that the ATI card will still outpeform the nVIDA card with full on AA and AF in alot of games, and that the new 6800 will doninate in a few games. But I think that newer drivers will pull the ATI card closer, but it won't get too close concerning doom 3 (only). This is actually a good reason for people whom have not bought ATI X800 or nVIDA 6800 cards yet to actually save and wait for about a month or two after the game actually comes out to see whose card performs better with the majority of games with AA and AF (and without). If ATI optimizes the driver to pull it closer, and if you have an ATI 9800 Pro/XT then it will still benefit your currect card. Likewise, nVIDA would further optimize thier card probably. This is a win/win situation for consumers imo. The trick is to actually wait until these next gen games are actually out though (if you can). Doom 3 might be nothing more than eye candy, and the game itself might not be that good - and you might not want to shell out your money for it. Same for HL2. This also (for me) plays into what card to get. In that case I would take the card that runs older games and recent titles and the newer games (menioned above) faster with the more refined drivers. For myself, I am very much looking forward to reading actual forum comments after the game is released and users that run the new cards.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think you need to refer to Doom 3 as 1 engine only, cause lisencing the engine is how carmack makes his money.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Jul 2004
  3. will889

will889 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, and i'm sure there will be a few D3 engined games to come, and from what I have seen the NV cards will run better on those games. ATI should be great for DX based games (HL2).

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Doom 3 is direct x.

5. Enzo04

Enzo04 Banned

Doom 3 is OpenGL not Direct3d
    My bros friend works for Activision... he played the full game already.

6. will889

will889 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 26 Jul 2004
  7. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

curese i just got a x800 xt
    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

8. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) Which is still an excellent top of the range card. Don't forget ATI esp haven't had chance to optimise drivers for Doom III, and the signs are the ATI cards will have the upper hand in HL2 (and all the games due out on that engine). We haven't seen what 3Dc compression can do yet either.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, and it's also worth noting that as ATI bundles the Hl2 coupon with lots of their cards (or did anyways), the game was more designed for use with an ATI card. That's where the optimizations lie. I don't have enough knowledge to say that D3 and nvidia are all parnered up, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Indeed, I think ATI may still have an upper hand. They get an extra two months or so before HL2 will be out and their drivers are optimized for that already, so by the time both games are on the shelves, ATI will have had their time to optimize performance in D3 and they'll be ahead in both games :)

10. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) More similar info HERE (correct the ***'s). I haven't read it all yet but I got the gist. AFAIK Farcry patch v1.2 has been withdrawn (many fixes inc PS3.0 for 6800 nVidia cards). This is possibly while ATI optimisations are added (?), it seems X800 esp benefit with geometry instancing, enhanced PS2.0 support and single-pass per-pixel lighting. Even Radeons as low as the 9500 can benefit though!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea i was just told in the other thread. It contradicts what ive read (or think ive read) on shacknews in "emails"!? Also, i thought Ogl was pretty much dead - development had stopped at 1.3? Or has carmack taken it onto 2.0+? Im kinda glad it is ogl though, it always was better built.

I dont think this is correct at all (more hope than doubt). It just happens to be that at the mo it works better - give the drivers time.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Jul 2004
  12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Very interesting thread - I remember similar discussions preceeding the lauches of previous ATi/Nvidea cards. Although early indications (e.g.the Doom3 benchmark results) are usually a pretty good guide, I guess the only only way to be sure how the new cards will perform, as always, is:

1. wait for the games to arrive .
    2. try the hardware with the new games.
    3. listen to the maufacturers/fanboys harp on about how the opposition is cheating with ATi/Nvidea biased/optimised games and benchmarks.
    4. wait for the drivers to stabilise and the above issues/accusations to be resolved/disproved.
    5. make a decision.

Unfortunately, this time I haven't followed my own advice and after reading this thread I have just bought a Geforce 6800 GT from Hong Kong, I should have it next week. I hope I made the right (if there ever is an absolute "right") decision! :)

PS I'm no fanboy - currently I own a 9800pro and have previously owned various Geforce and Radeon cards, I hate ATi and Nvidea equally!

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

In my opinion, from what I've seen without "propperly" benchmarking one in balanced situations yet, I have to say that the 6800GT is the best choice out of all of the new cards at the present moment :)

14. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Im kinda annoyed that the benchmarks didn't do 16xAF and 8xAA. Thats how i awalys play my games because ATI does better then. ATI has awalys been weak in the OGL games when compaired to Nvidia.

15. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

16. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Its not surprising realy as in Doom 3 the latest nVidia cards can do 32x0 (no z or color) while the Ati cards are "stuck" at 16x1. The way ATI have done it is more sencible than nVidia's they use up fewer transistors and thus power and as a trade off they loose some performance in the unusual case that Doom 3 is.

17. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) Actually the X800 are fully capable of 'x0 processing (32x0 for XT, 24x0 for Pro). The prerequisite is AA must be on. nVidia's implimentation doesn't need AA but is dependent on certain circumstances, IIRC Z and stencil operations. ATI have kept their transistor count down thanks to PS2.0, 24bit FP precision (rather than 16/32bit FP) and keeping a simpler more efficient design overall. Don't be fooled though, the difference is more of 10%, nVidia and ATI count transistors differently.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was referring to the POV of the gaming market - noone was developing it further.

19. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

The debate

The debate rages on!! Good grief Both the ATI and Nvidia cards are going to game like never before. So buy the one you like and get over it! If it makes you happy who gives a damn what someone else thinks. I personally would be thrilled to have either as I currently use a 5900fx. either card will be a quantum leap for me. right now the plain jane 6800 looks good to me. It is more in my price range. I have played call of duty on it and it eas freakin awesome!! So I am sure both of the top of the line cards will thrill

WZ

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I dunno what you're stressing about: This is simply a (non fanboy) discussion on the merrits of current, new cards and their performance in doom3. True the thread title is misleading, but i feel the contributors to this thread are trying to keep a good vivid discussion.

Tags: