1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor 8800GTX; 1U power supplies and rusty old men

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shalfi, 22 Jul 2008.

1. Shalfi

Shalfi Better than the credit I get

Im rusty because I havent put a new PC together in about 6 years or so...playing catch up with the new requirements for parts.

Considering a custom SFF case w/ 8800GTX and want to drop a 1U psu in it. I know the 8800 has connections for 2 6-pin connectors because most psu rails dont have the amps to feed it.

I stumbled on http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/FSP460-601U.pdf which has a massive 32A on a single rail (enough for the 8800), but only 1 6-pin connector.

I havent managed to locate a 1U psu yet w/ 2 6-pin and multi rails to get the necessary amps for the 8800.

So here is my question. Would the 8800 run on a single connection given that it has the needed amperage? If thats a no go, would using a 4 to 6 pin converter function as if having a psu with the required 2x 6-pin?

2. Teamists

Teamists What's a Dremel?

Shalfi,

Did you ever find a solution to your issue? I'm looking for the same thing. I took a look at the power supply you listed, and I can tell you that the 8-pin connector can be used with an 8 to 6-pin converter. However, I don't know if the Amps are enough given that you also need to power other components, especially the motherboard. I have used a power supply for just the 8800 that put out 30 amps on one rail, and it worked great, but I need to find something to power the motherboard as well. If you found another power supply that worked, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

Tags: