1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9800 Pro + Monitor making sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tbanucci, 12 Feb 2005.

1. tbanucci

tbanucci What's a Dremel?

Doing a Google search lead me to this forum where I saw this thread:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=23295

Recently, I built my own computer out of:
    ASUS P800-E Deluxe MOBO
    ASUS Radeon 9800 Pro Vid Card
    RAIDMAX Case
    Kingston Memory (1 GB)
    Maxtor 250 GB Hard Drive

I already owned the Monitor which is a Sony 19" Multiscan G400. That and the Keyboard and Mouse are hooked into a KVM which are shared with my Mac.

When I use the Mac, everything is fine and dandy. However, when I turn on the PC (even if the Mac is off), I get this annoying screeching sound out of the monitor after maybe 30 minutes of use. It can be best described as a high screech, or using a dog whistle that a human can actually hear. At first I thought it was a fan making the noise. I dusted them all, including the VidCard fan and processor fan. I then, one by one, disconnected each fan to see which was the culprit. It finally hit on me that it was coming from the monitor. However, since the sound does not appear when using the Mac, I'm positive it has something to do with the VidCard and Monitor combo.

I tried using different resolution settings, which seems to work sometimes, but then the sound eventually comes back. I've also made sure that I am running the latest drivers for everything.

The previous thread talked about grounding the Vid Card. Does anyone think that this may have something to do with the sound? Any other info that someone may have to solve this annoyance?

Thanks! :wallbash:

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

So the noise is coming from the monitor?
    This could well be caused by vibrations on the transformer of the monitor... Theres not really anything you can do about it... Maybe try dropping the refresh rate a little may help....

3. Xenocide

Xenocide What's a Dremel?

Refresh rate would probably be the culprit.

Try it at 60 at a lower res.

4. tbanucci

tbanucci What's a Dremel?

That's exactly what I've been doing. And it will last maybe a half hour or an hour, then start back with the noise again.

Also interesting because when running the same monitor on the Mac side of the KVM, the Mac is running at 85 Hz and the monitor is just fine. I could swear it has something to do with the actual Radeon 9800 Pro card in the PC....