1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

_______miniG5ized_______:23 of March. `06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by FanatiK, 28 Sep 2005.

1. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

simply inspiring

this mod is very cool. I like small, and there is alot to say for apple's style.

I'm still not clear where the cooling tower concet is going.
    guess I'l have to wait and see. :idea:
    :thumb: mod on.

2. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

wow

light that shroud up :O it will look immense if that was glowing

the case looks ooo damn clean! keep up the awesome work

3. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Thje fan duct looks greal great, keep ut the good work :thumb:

4. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Here is a real quick skecth of the duct system I`m doing for the rad. It was mainly thought up because I wanted to keep the rad internal but also I didnt want the heat it created to stay inside the case. So I though of this. Its just a duct system to channel the air from the fans through the rad and out the top of the case. Consists of two pieces. The top and bottom parts that fit over the rad. This worked out perfect for this case since the bottom of the G5 cases are lifted of the ground. I couldnt do this with a normal case.

[​IMG]
    Ahh Frodo you`re getting ahead of me. :thumb: I`m going to add leds on the inside of the duct to light up the flat part that has the screw holes. I`m going to light up all four of these. The other parts wont light up since they have aluminum behind them but the four squares should look good lit up. One thing I might do to create the lighting effect I want is to frost the edges of that piece. We`ll see once I start the lighting. For now I`m leaving it like that.

5. natemoney

natemoney What's a Dremel?

Looks great FanatiK!! I was wondering where you purchased the blue plexi? I am looking for the best place that is cheap and easy for Texas modders. Keep up the good work !

6. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

7. Hellboy787

Hellboy787 What's a Dremel?

FanatiK, Im hooked to Bit-tech modding section all thx to you!!! I have been waiting for a update from you for weeks... your work is awsome!!

oh, by the way its a good thing you did not try and weld your case 'cos aluminium is very difficult to weld and you need big-time equipment to weld the stuff..(My Dad is a Pro, he owns a company who does it).

Again thank you for your modd...you have inspired me!!

8. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

hey fanatik

one thought... you could light up all the panels, if you drilled a small hole through the aluminium in less obvious areas, that then goes through to the acrylic :p

that cooling tower idea is really good, best of luck to you!

9. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

WOW! Thanxs man. I feel honored. Those are some kind words.

Yea I knew about how hard it is to weld aluminum. I took a year in metals class in college. We never worked with aluminum because its to hard to solder with because of its low melting point. I also saw this show on the discovery channel were a pro was welding aluminum. Man after he was done it looked awesome. Just like a stack of coins toppled over.

10. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

was that american chopper?

if so, i saw that, and it looked amazing

im going to play around, if i learnt how to weld aluminium it would be sweet, but i just dont see it happening

also due to the fact the aluminium can easily be damaged by the heat, making it alot weaker and creating stress points

11. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Yea I could do that but another thing I was going to try is to drill holes on the top of the air duct side panels and stick leds in there. The acrylic is 1/4" thick so i should be able to fit a 3mm led in there. This should light up all the panels nicely but i will get that triangular light from the led. I`ll try it out and see how it looks.

I can`t remember what show but I know it was a motorcycle show. I love wacthing those shows especially american choppers.

Btw I finished the second adapter. It looks wicked with both of them in place.

12. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Well here is the second one finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are pics of it in place. I held the rad in mid air so you get an idea of where it is going to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

What are some of the tools you're useing? That's very good work. I'll be working almost exlusively with acryllic in my D3 mod (will start as soon as they deliver my friggen case) and I dont wanna mess up.

14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Ohh and I just realized this. If you make the fans blow from top to bottom you wont need a fliter. Well maybe you will but it wont collect nearly as much dust. Plus in that small of an area you wont have to worry to much about the pressure of heat rising.

15. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

The one tool that I use the most and makes this mod happen is my Dremel 1800 scroll saw. :thumb: I can`t praise this tool enough. Especially that sanding wheel. The other tools are files, coping saw, drill press, etc. Oh yea and a ruler :hehe:

[​IMG]

Actually the airflow will be from bottom to top in the rad duct. I don`t want to force rising heat to the bottom. It`ll work almost like a chimney. Also if i make the heat go out the bottom the heat will collect on the bottom of the case and heat it up. Won`t it?

EDIT: Oh forgot one thing i was gonna ask you guys. Does anyone know an epoxy that doesn`t smell like @.s.s.? :confused: I`m using a two part epoxy thats made by loctite and it makes me sick smelling this stuff. I`m not looking for flowering smelling stuff but something that doesnt smell like @.s.s. :D

Last edited: 5 Dec 2005
  16. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

that is a great way to go

thanks for the info.
    :rock:

it's a great idea, but very space consuming.
    maybe next time (?) try something at an angle in a corner, so as to take up less space.

17. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Actually in an area that small you shouldnt have any issues with heat causeing a reverse pressure. Especially since it's connect striaght to the fan (No escapeing air) Also that heat will hit the ground and spread to the side and would not be transferred back into the case at all. Theoretically yes both of those would cause temps to be raised but realiticly I doubt it would be noticable past 1/4degre C and the ammount of dust you'd be eliminateing would be well worth it.

18. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

The whole project looks awesome till now! ;D The fan adapter you did now was nice! I like it, nothing more to say..

;D

19. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Today I started the duct part that goes above the rad. One thing I figured out was that I`m going to have the rad near the top because I need to leave room for the video card and its cables. So the top part is only going to be 3 cm tall.

I decided to mitter the corners for the duct instead of butting the sides together. It was a little bit more work but in the end I think it`ll look better. Here are the four pieces mittered and the part that will bolt to the rad. Still need to cutout the middle part and drill the screw holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. dannyqball

dannyqball What's a Dremel?

I have to say that your work with acrylic is amazing. I have quite the dremil set but that jigsaw setup is awesome.
    Keep up the good work, I'm keeping a close eye on this one. :rock: