1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A burning problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CHRISS, 20 Aug 2002.

1. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

My burner is extremely unreliable. I have a success rate of something like 25% (it used to work fine, but slow) it is a 8x4x32 (yes it is very old 1999 I think) does anyone know what the problem could be? I am using NTI standard and it always gives me the same message: hardware error. I do not know what make it is so I cannot contact the manufacturer as NTI suggests. I have already tried with other (more expensive) media but that is not the problem. I have also experimented with a lot of software. The drive is set as the primary slave with the secondary slave being a LG DVD drive. Also I have tried writing at a slower speed than the drives max. has anyone got any ideas as to what could be wrong and how it could be solved. Or should I just dump the piece of s*** and get a decent one. If so are there any drive's that u could recommend I should buy or steer clear of.
    Replies very welcome

Last edited: 20 Aug 2002
  2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

*cough* hardware *cough* :)

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah... please keep to the correct forum ;)

Sounds like its just... knackered to me. You can pick up CDRW drives dirt cheap at the moment :)

You tried the drive in another PC or OS?

4. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

sorry bout wrong place...
    tried nother PC but not os. im trying to burn a linux iso:cries:

5. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

i think you should dump it and get a new one. I got a cd-rw when the first came out and it was less than reliable. :)

6. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

im off to for sale/wanted then:D
    thanks
    i should get a faster 1 anyway

7. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Have you tried the obvious like a cd lens cleaner, firmware upgrade?

8. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

9. herbs

Sounds like its donald ducked then, you could open the case and try manually cleaning the lens but I doubt it would be worth the hassle considering you can get a 40x for £45 nowdays. I must be old as remember £75 for a normal 8x cd rom drive.

10. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

11. herbs

Get a liteon 32x or 40x or one of the clones you cannot go wrong with them as they do efm and can copy most games and are cheap. But they do have problems with some audio protection.

12. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

sorry i must be getting anying by now:blush: but what is efm? also the Everspring 1 has burnproof is this something worth having?
    and is the brand name woth paying for?

13. herbs

That should be correct efm http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Glossary/Details.asp?RelatedID=296 basically allows drive to write regular bit patterns correctly, which is good for backing up. Burnproof is so common nowdays your be hard pressed to find one without it or similar method to stop bufferunder runs like JustLink.
    Yes its a good thing to have.

14. muse46

muse46 What's a Dremel?

lol, i remember when i got a bargain of a cd writer, i got it for trade price for working at a small pc shop, and it cost me £110!! 4x write, 4x rewrrite, i was respected for a while!

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If you've tried the basics like defragging the drive you're copying from, and ensuring no residents operate while you're burning (I discovered Motherboard Monitor was giving me coasters) then get a burn-proof writer. ;)

16. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

cpemma, i tried that but if it was it says there is a hardware error not buffer underrun.
    muse46, if the drive cost that much i bet the media cost a fiver per disk:D

17. herbs

I remember paying £165 for my 2x speed HP7200i and thinking it was a good deal then, which it was. Then thinking 30 mins to burn a cd was good, now i get peeved if it takes longer than 4 mins to burn.

18. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

I do believe plextor was the first to have burnproof... they invented it... i had one of the first burners to have it...plextor12.10.32X it was... plextors are very good but overpriced, so i'd consider a new liteon, or possibly Samsung, Lg, or any other popular brand which ain't too overpriced... any one should do...and any burner 16X or faster outta have burn proof.

19. quack

quack Minimodder

Just bought a Lite-On CDRW LTR-40125S (40x12x48x) from Dabs - £47 :) Much improved over my old 8x burner. I just need to get some 40 speed CDRs, my spindle only works up to 24 :(