1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos A few from my portfolio

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by dave_c, 13 Oct 2009.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

hay all im pretty new here, but noticed you had an art and photography section so thought id get posting, hope you like em

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im always trying to improve, so if you have any comments please feel free to constructive crit them, although meaningless praise is also nice :hip:

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

love the train station

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

The train station one is epic, but I like the portrait one as well, it's just so un-necessarily overdramatic... Which is awesome :D

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, the first one is a simply awesome photo.

#5 could have been good as well if it wasn't horribly underexposed.

5. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

i keep being told that TBH, i really like the contrast of that shot, I'm starting to wonder if i need to recalibrate my monitor though, as so many people do tell me that.

but tell ya what, just for you, here's a copy of it that's brighter. I'm not as keen as i like the stylization of the contrast but there's no accounting for taste :D

[​IMG]

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No, I do see what you mean. It looks a little flat as it is, so could perhaps use a some more PP (or even a conversion to B&W might work well).

7. Nippon109

Nippon109 What's a Dremel?

love the train station platform one!

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Under, over....the picture isn't straight. nor is there an attempt to use an artistic angle. why worry about the merits of contrast when you miss the simple things like that? and while I see the under exposeing as more pleasing, you need to back off the contrast to not loose the fine details of her face. both are under exposed, just the 2nd one looks like real wedding shot because it shows her face with the reflection off the wall.

9. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

harsh, but fair i suppose

10. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

another one of my older shots (me missus)
    [​IMG]

11. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

I love the train station.. its awesome.. and yeah.. this last B/W portrait is also nice shot.

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Along JJ's level of harshness:

#1 - I'm really not sure of this. It has a lot of punch initially with the high contrast, light and angle. And then I find no subject to rest my eyes on, and I feel...disappointed. But it's a great start and shows some promise.

#3 - this shot screams to be B&W, sepia, SOMETHING monochromatic. There is absolutely nothing of visual interest except the tree, so the colours are completely taking away from the shot at hand - it's all about the contrast. This is a post-process dream that's currently languishing in a damn-near ripped-from-the-raw shell. It COULD speak, but it just frankly doesn't, like that annoyingly quiet guy at the dinner table.

#5 - JJ hit this one way, I'm gonna take another swing the other way - it doesn't look like it was shot all that crooked, but shot with the wrong type of lens altogether. Your distortion is pretty heavy and the image has an unintended barrel curve inward on the left side. There's two reasons wedding photogs shoot with long lenses predominantly, and one is to avoid this. You can "flatten" the image with a long lens and not get these harsh curves. Use your wider angles when you're going for an artistic SHAPE, not just composition - they play a huge effect. Either that, or learn to fix your booboos in photoshop, which is sometimes a worthy trade.

I hope you find these helpful and not just harsh. JJ rips through things because he does this a LOT and VERY well. When he sees talent that skips the basics of composition to go straight to detail, it tends to set him off. :) Clearly you have some starting talent, but maybe take a little more time to either get funky or not. If you had shot #3 centered with a superwide angle FOR the curve the lens provides and dropped it to monochrome, you'd have a killer image. Conversely, shoot your bride at at least 85mm and put her as the focal point of the image so you get rid of the ceiling and the distracting lower right edge of the photo and you have a compelling portrait and get to keep your dramatic contrast. Basically, all tools have limitations - including the thing that presses the shutter button. Either use them for them or use them in spite of them, but make sure you recognize them. :)

Last edited: 28 Oct 2009
  13. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

i appreciate the critique, a constructive one is always helpful,

the issue with the lens is a big one, unfortunately i was reduced to an 18-55mm lens (kit lens) for most of the wedding as my other broke half way through, im not a pro tog at all any shots i take professionally are usually for reference for my CGI work, this was my sisters wedding and there were 2 pro togs there so i didn't screw the pooch or anything.

I have to admit, i don't agree with you on the other 2 shots (1&3), but then as i said earlier im no pro tog :D

thanks again for the CC