Other A few problems with new build bit of advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boscoe, 13 Apr 2011.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Okay so I got my new build going last night hut I have a few problems. Here goes!

One. Windows keeps freezing like jot just stopped responding like completely nothing and I don't get any USB power this happens from when I first log onto windows to up to about 5 mins. This started happening after I installed all my drivers. These include gfx chipset and LAN drivers. When I boot into safe all is well and the comp works. I also might have a memory problem, one of the sticks dosent work so I'm just running on one for now until I rma it could this be the cause?

The second problem is that windows and the bios dosent recognise my second hdd with my backup on. Tuis is since I changed achi mode to IDE in the bios to be able to install windows but when I switch it back windows loads then the computer just restarts so who knows...

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Boscoe

2. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

disable all chipset drivers, restart and let windows install them. Is your second HDD an IDE device or a sata? you don't have a SSD in there do you?

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You need to install windows in AHCI mode. Your motherboards driver disk will have the required AHCI drivers and instructions on how to load it during the Windows installation. I am assuming this is Windows 7?

Once you have installed Windows with AHCI correctly your other problems may also be resolved so I would suggest you do this first.

4. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Okay thanks so far.

I have uninstalled my graphics card and windows was fine I have tried 3 versions of drivers but to no luck. I will reinstall windows in ahci anyway but no matter what I try I can't get that other drive working. Also when I enter the BIOS with my USB disk drive plugged in my mouse won't work in EFI.

Could I have a faulty motherboard on my hands?

Last edited: 13 Apr 2011