1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays A few questions about a new monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 5 May 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've been wanting a new monitor and checked gumtree just for fun. I found a Dell 27 USB-C Ultrathin Monitor (S2719DC) for £190. The best part is it was only an 8-minute walk and came with the original box.

Plug it in and I was only getting some weird resolution 2048x1080. I checked and it was a DP to HDMI cable. I grabbed a new HDMI cable, AmazonBasics High-Speed 4K 3m, problem solved. The problem is my GPU (Gigabyte RX 480 8G) only has 1 HDMI port and I also connect to my TV via HDMI.

Are there any limitations to DP to HDMI cables compared to HDMI to HDMI cables?
    Can I solve this problem with a higher spec DP to HDMI cable?

The second issue is that the monitor is USB-C and my motherboard (Z170i Pro Gaming) doesn't have a USB-C port. I can't find the USB-C spec. Can I use a USB 3 to USB-C cable and still use the USB port in my monitor for a webcam, or KB/M?

Last edited: 5 May 2019
  2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

For dp to hdmi at 4k you'll need active converter, is you TV also 4k? If not maybe use dp to hdmi cable for tv and hdmi to hdmi for monitor? You could also use dp to usbc, but you'll lose usb hub on monitor.

Regarding usbc, yes you can, it will even work if you plug to usb2 (ports on monitor will be limited to usb2 speeds).

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Thanks, I'm thinking about a DP to HDMI adapter for the TV so that I don't need to buy a new long-run cable, 3m for my monitor or 5m for my TV.
    I've read that some people have had issues getting freesync to work with DP to HDMI cables. Eventually, I will upgrade to a 4K TV but I don't know when.

USB 3.0 to USB-C working is good news!

Would a cheap £3.99 DP to HDMI 4k adapter work like this one - for my TV
    My other option is a cheap £7.99 DP to HDMI 4k 3m cable like this one - for my new monitor

Last edited: 5 May 2019
  4. silk186

silk186 Derp

I ordered a £5 DP to HDMI adapter from Amazon and it works with the TV because I didn't want to wait. It works well with 1080p, I will try it with 1440p when I have time.

I have a sound bar on the way and I will see how it works with my monitor.

How do duplicate and extend display options work in Windows 10 with two different resolution displays?

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Duplicate will duplicate the resolution of the lower res display across both. Extend is like two different sized rectangles next to each other.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

So, is the best way to run duplicate without lowering the resolution of my monitor to run virtual super resolution on my TV at 1440p?
    Will this negatively effect the quality of video content that is 720p or 1080p?

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Yep, I think if you have an AMD card VSR would be the way to go. I very much doubt it would have any noticeable negative effect on HD content.

silk186 likes this.