1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development A lil advice here...

Discussion in 'Software' started by jwil, 28 Feb 2004.

1. jwil

jwil What's a Dremel?

Ok, I've gotten it down to 11 errors on the page (above link) but some of these errors don't make any sense. For instance:

The explanation is:

Now if I'm reading this right - and I'd like to think I am - this is suggesting that the attribute 'BACKGROUND' doesn't exist for this object, but in the HTML 4.01 attribute guide for tables, it is listed as a valid attribute. And obviously it works, so what is the problem? I'm assuming that the attribute 'BACKGROUND' cannot be used within a <td> tag? If not, what is the proper usage in this instance?

BTW guys, thanks for all of the input, this is all very helpful and helping me to learn alot. I appreciate it. :thumb:

2. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm afraid there is no background attribute for <td>. Nor for any other table element.

However, you can do this in CSS - which should always be your first choice(!):

<table id="MyTable">
    <tr>
    <td class="bg">etc..</td>
    </tr>
    etc...

In CSS:

Table#MyTable td.bg { background-image: url(i/top1bg.jpg); }

Hope this helps

Chris

3. jwil

jwil What's a Dremel?

Wow. I honestly didn't know you could do that. I've never used CSS much before, but I'm starting to now. I started moving the other text formatting to an external stylesheet last night while I was working on the code some more so I'll probably work on moving some of the other elements to CSS later this week. I have a couple PHP bugs I need to work out and I need to do something about the header in the forums section before worrying about the CSS.

I had always been under the impression it was just for text formatting, though. This will be quite helpful, thanks.

Speaking of the forums though, they are all written in PHP with a MySQL backend. Does anyone know an easy way to utilize the login functions of the forums with the rest of the site and maintain SIDs? I'd like to move some of the functions such as Calendar and Album out to the main page, but I need to allow people to login before the access it.

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

If you want to be truly impressed by the power of CSS then take a look at www.csszengarden.com

They have a shedload of designs all done just by changing the CSS and images used, the HTML remains the same for each, but the layout and style changes radically from one to the next, it's inspiring stuff.

5. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

.....until you view it in an old browser. :D

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

It should work in NS6+, IE5+, Opera 6+, Firebird/Firefox etc

(NS4 doesnt qualify as a browser...its an abomination)

7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

But who really uses old browsers? I know people use much simpler browsers such as Lynx, but it will display fine in that.