1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays A Monitor for the ages....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sjhujh, 21 Jul 2016.

1. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

So as the rather cryptic title might suggest I'm looking to purchase a monitor for my newish build to replace the 32" HD TV i've been using (mostly as the pixels are the size of my face when I'm sat at the computer!)

I've narrowed my list down to two monitors, pretty different from one another....

1, The Dell S2715DG

or

2, The ASUS PG248Q ROG Swift

For me there are two things that are important, as it will be replacing the HD TV it needs to have a HDMI input for the PS4 to connect to as well as the Displayport for the G-Sync.

The reason I was looking at the Dell is the that it's within my proposed budget and has the two things I'm looking for. However it is 1440P and i'm not sure my current 970 will be up to the task of supplying it with pixels. Although saying that I see it as a slightly more future proof option as no doubt once I upgrade my GPU I'd be lusting after a 1440p monitor anyway... But how well do modern screens handle non native resolutions? will running things in 1080P look like shite?

My reason for considering the ASUS is that it side steps any potential scaling issues for the PS4 and my 970 is more that capable of handling 1080p well. So it may well be the smarter choice...

So I was just hoping to canvas opinion from you fine people.... Cheers!

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

GTX970 is a great pairing for 1440p, so until you next upgrade, I doubt you'd be disappointed in its performance at that resolution. Might not max everything, but it's definitely enough to make it look pretty and still give decent FPS.

3. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Cheers for the reply.

I had been veering heavily towards the Asus one... but looking through benchmarks with a 970 it's put the Dell one back in contention! I hate making decisions!

4. Randhart

Randhart What's a Dremel?

I have a Dell U2711 running 2560x1440 and running two GTX680 Cheesecake 4Gb cards in SLI and don't have many problems so i would surmise that your 970 would be up to the task seeing as it is generations newer than mine ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

I agree, the 970 will run very well at that resolution. I have a 290X (which is on a par with your 970) @ 2560x1600 and don't have to make many sacrafices to get things looking great and running smoothly.

6. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Hmm so looks to me like I'm gonna take the plunge with the Dell then. I don't usually change my monitor very often (even when I've been unhappy with it...) so the higher res should keep me happy....

Thanks for all your input people!

7. Jury-Pool-Reject

Jury-Pool-Reject What's a Dremel?

I would give very strong consideration to the Acer 27" HB271HU monitor. I was thinking of the Dell and Asus also. However, once I saw the Acer in person, (IPS, 2560x1440 at 165Hz, amazing picture quality, and NO quality control issues), I bought it.

My son and I have been extremely happy with it. We are PC gamers (including the game Battlefield 4).

Last edited: 27 Jul 2016