1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other A quick favor...

Discussion in 'General' started by kingred, 13 Apr 2009.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I need to get a rough estimate of the loading which normal people put on their uni/work desks, be it computer desks or just plain workbenches so can you please load me up with pictures of your desk/workstations!

The idea is to get an average of around 100 different images of your desk and use guestimation to roughly simulate the average persons desk and its lifetime. Using this data i can develop my final major project to something which you guys can use for 10 years +

please?

2. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

You could start by looking here :p - DAMMIT! AH beat me to the punch.

[​IMG]

24" Screen, other bits and bobs

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

When you say loading, I'm assuming you mean the weight? Don't forget people still have CRT's, weighing upto 35kg each, plus desk trinkets, plus other hardware, and even folk just sitting/leaning on it.

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

My missus sat on my desk last night, does that count?

7. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

GIRLFRIEND

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I just made a new desk. It currently holds a 24" monitor and 5 19" monitors. I also have two computers on small shelves under the desk (Shelves are a part of the desk).

I also have a very basic setup with speakers, mouse, keyboard and a few pencils.

The big question then:

How much does she weigh?

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

As she's looking over my shoulder, i'm not going to answer that.

on topic though, my desk is made up of a desk and 2 seperate cupboards, all thats on the desktop is my 2 22" Samsungs, Keyboard/Mouse and Speakers. I like minimal.

10. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Yes they will all be taken into account, obviously i want a good trade off of factor of safety and product life, so i hit my target of 10 years guaranteed use. Cheers for the heads up guys :)

11. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Not at uni till September o if you need to know then I can tell you :p

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Making a desk to last 10+ years will probably be more a matter of design than it will be structural strength, really. If it's made from a relatively flexible material (Metal or wood) the desk will be able to handle a lot of load as long as the tabletop is thick enough and as long as the bracing for the legs are solid. Glass or stone is durable, but will very suddenly break under heavy loads with near catastrophic results.

I do think that most desks will be replaced because people want a new design/look, or that they move to a different location where the old desk won't fit as good.

13. K

K 528491

What desk wouldn't last ten years? The kind you take surfing?

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Avoid this sort of design like the plague. Friend has this desk, puts quite a lot on it and does lean quite heavily on it when he's at it (most of the time). One of the welds on the bottom of one of the legs broke and the entire desk fell forward.

This is a great example of a nice big sturdy desk.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have two Mikael's, and they're both bullet-proof. Just watch cracking the veneer around the edge - it really does support the wood quite a bit. I've cracked it on my uni one, and it's starting to bow around it.

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Thanks for the tips but i am ok, insert old outlandish money shot concept, final aesthetic will be more tame and have a warmer more natural glow about it. Mechanism and operation, well i cant really tell you :) ip rights only work if you keep them sorta confidential.

I am due a redesign, i am working on hdri environments now so i get better results with more natural lighting to get a nice studio feel to it.

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I hope the redesign will include some more bracing for the legs. That thing won't last very long.

18. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

The simulations i have already carried out, coupled with testing prototypes have proved good performers in racking (sideways applied loads e.g. person falling over into table at speeds around 2m/s) a better leg joint is in the works, however functionally the table is rated for 100kg maximum loading for a 10 year lifespan.

Don't worry about performance, I am doing a bsc so the performance is critical to me actually getting my degree :) Cheers for the input guys, move appreciated as it saves me having to break into peoples houses just to take a picture of their desk :D