1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics A single psu for an atx board and a mini itx at the same time?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by CHRISS, 2 Oct 2003.

1. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

would it be possible to run a mini itx board and my existing atx board at the same time... providing i have a powerful enough power supply? (550W) or would i be better off getting 2 separate ones? (would be very difficult to fit in my case)

(I want a mini itx in my case running linux at the same time as running windows on my main board, I would have a KVM switch to move between them true multiprocessing :D )

2. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

Just tap off all 20 strands on the ATX power block, and that shoudl be that.

My ITX is runnign off a 55w Laptop PSU, and a Dc-DC converter, but mostly just draws about 20 wats.

Which is less than the video card in one of my other systems....

Nice idea too.

Only problem is, you'll have two power buttons.. and if you turn one PC off, what's going to happen to the other one?

3. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

the idea is that both computers will be on when I press one button, Linux will take longer to load but essentially when I turn my box on I will start windows and Linux simultaneously, and they will run parallel. I will see if I can get a KVM switch built in the front of my case somewhere so I can switch easily between them. Burning a cd in linux while playing games at a LAN under windows :rock:

4. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

It's one of those things that might work, it might not. My advice would be to have two PSUs both come on at the same time. MiniITX PSUs are very small anyway.

Just wire the power switch to both mother board (maybe with opto-isolators or at least diodes to separate them).

MoJo