1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ⭐ a Winbot Project - Phase 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thechoozen, 6 Oct 2017.

  1. thechoozen

    thechoozen Active Member

    Joined:
    9 May 2006
    Posts:
    910
    Likes Received:
    68
    Thank you Bill!!!
    Yeah it´s really huge, but only 5 cm bigger than the original Winbot....so overall not that Big :grin:

    and yeah we´ve also noticed that big X-Wing......(in our Opinion much too big :grin: totally out of scale....it´s even as big as our little moon :grin: - totally overkill)....we´re just hoping that he won´t attack us at the Gamescom :grin: maybe we should look if can organize the one or other Star Destroyers for protection.... (ok enough of the jokes: we really like Random2k4s newest creation and hope to see all three of them (Stefan, Katrin and their X-Wing this summer)


    And now it´s time for our next Update:

    As next we made a opening in the backside of the Top and Bottom Shell so that we can place our hinge in there. For more stability we added a few extra layers of fiber glass to those openings....so that they are sturdy and rigid enough to hold the weight of the Top part when it is opened....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    After that we disassembled the original winbot so that we could place the bottom shell on the turntable base to see how we´re going to attach the bottom shell on it.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Then we cutted a bit of the bottom shell of so that we can prepare the mounting on the turntable base.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As next we´re going to cover that big hole partially with fiberglass so that we get a solid and flat surface on which we can mount the shell on the Base
     
    Cheapskate likes this.
  2. thechoozen

    thechoozen Active Member

    Joined:
    9 May 2006
    Posts:
    910
    Likes Received:
    68
    Like mentioned in the last update....we closed that cut. First we filled the openings in the plastic with a bit of bondo....

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    And after that we wrapped the open bottom in some foil and put it on an even surface so that we could add the first layers of fiberglass to the inside...and after the drying period we turned it upside down....to add some more layers....

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    As next we overworked the raw fiberglass with some bondo....so that we get a nice surface.....and painted it ....

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Then we put the hardware base inside to see if it still fits in like it should....

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    After that we added a few cutouts to the middle ring (like the openings on the original winbot shell)

    [​IMG]

    And then it was time for the next tests...so we put it on the bottom....

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    As next step we´re going to add some more openings to the Top Part so that the Warm Air gets out while the Case is closed....and we have to drill approx. 1500 - 2000 holes in both shells....for the Windows in the Death Star.....
     
  3. thechoozen

    thechoozen Active Member

    Joined:
    9 May 2006
    Posts:
    910
    Likes Received:
    68
    In the last weeks we made some progress, we drilled over 2000 holes for the windows after that we filled all holes with approx. 70m of optical fiber strings so that the windows could light up when we turn on the LEDs on the inside of the case....

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    After that we added a few more ventilation openings in the Top Dome so that the warm air gets out of of the Case and the system inside doesn´t get too hot..

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Last but not least we prepared a new bottom plate which will cover the original bottom of the hardware tray.....it´s made of 1 plexi and 1 metal layer so that we can lit up the bottom as well....

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    As next we´re going to prepare the foot section of the case on which so that it can get fresh paint and we also have to overwork a few parts of the mechanics so that the turntable base can work smoother and turn more weight than in its original state....
     
    _Prometheus_ likes this.

Share This Page