1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors A77 Average speed cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by c.cam108, 30 May 2008.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i wouldn't worry about people tailgating you - they hit you, it's their problem not yours. i'm gonna sound preachy here but speed limits are in general for our own safety; if you see the damage caused by car accidents at even 20-25MPH you wouldn't be so flippant about bombing around suburbs.

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I didn't say I do that speed past schools or kitten hostels did I?

For instance, there's a road near me which is very wide (easily wide enough for two lanes of traffic though it's only marked as one), with no sharp bends, on which it is easily safe to do 50-60mph.

Believe me - I am not a fast driver. I used to be, and then I had a crash and slowed right down. Now I drive at a safe speed for the road and conditions. If the speed limit is too low for the road and every man and their dog decides to overtake you, surely that's more dangerous than doing 5-10mph over the limit?

I was once in the back of a police car (long story) whose driver took it up to 60 along that particular stretch. And no, he wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere, and he didn't have his blues and twos on.

The one thing that I absolutely WILL NOT do, is speed in a built up area.

I also find that a lot of modern cars are just not happy sitting at 30mph. 3rd is too low a gear, 4th too high.

3. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

On the ticket front, if its over a month ago its not a problem, they have 21 days to give you an NIP (notice of intended prosecution) they can get an extension if you prove hard to track down but thats about it.

The guys in the vans and with the hand-helds can be got round if they're using laser, laser jammers do work but its got to be one with a gallium arsenide laser diode, the cheaper 980nm led ones are nowhere near as effective.

Personally i have a roadpilot with bell radar detector and a laser jammer (one that doesn't show as jamming on the guns display) hooked up to it, gps database of speed cameras genius :D not a cheap solution though for your average punter, i got mine trade as i was fitting them at the time

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Cruise Control is cheesecake. Set it and forget it; one less thing to keep an eye on.

5. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

One of my friends did actually get caught on the A77 average speed cameras north of the roundabout at Monkton, she got a £60 fine and 3pts - didn't say how fast she was going though. I used to drive through there when I was working down in Prestwick. Dropping it to 50mph from 70 seemed sensible, except for the fact that people pulling out from one of the many junctions along the road would only register on one camera, and hence would drive at 70mph+. Ironically that's the people who the cameras are supposed to be making it safer for.

Tags: