1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AACS group will fight bloggers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Digg users/bloggers were not distributing the software, just the Key.

As people have said "How can you copy right a series of numbers?"

Last edited by a moderator: 4 May 2007
  3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Im going to put said numbers in my sig. They can eat that.

If it can be compared to a password, then the password should be changed, not beat up people who know the password.

And for the next round, the people will find a way to crack whatever they come up with and it will all start again. The quote "history repeats itself" seems to be very true with regards to DRM atleast.

4. sinizterguy

Guess the AACS group won this round over here.

Atleast Hexus has not banned the key from their forum.

Last edited: 4 May 2007
  5. DougEdey

QFT

Banning of numbers AFAIK can't be done.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I have no problem with people discussing the subject, but I would prefer it if you didn't post the key all over our forums. I understand that DRM is a joke, and it's one thing I strongly disagree with - it's one reason why I no longer listen to music unless it's on the radio, movies unless they're at the cinema / on the TV, etc. Vote with your wallets - I certainly am.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't worry, we can post it, we aren't bloggers!

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Just to follow up Tim's post - we all realize this is an issue of both censorship and idiocy, and we're really not too big on either around here. But we do ask that you please consider whether it's really doing anything to post that here.

We're a pretty tight-knit community, I'd like to think...and whether we all think this is stupid or not, there are very real legal ramifications that could occur. We're not police, and this forum is an active community that we all take part in, so we're not going to go around deleting threads or banning people. We also understand that the key is not a hack, crack or warez unto itself...but please consider this a very genuine request from a fellow forumite so that there isn't a chance of losing the forum altogether over something this stupid.

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

My understanding is that this is not a question of copyright in the numbers, but is more to do with the fact that the numbers form part of a system capable of tampering with DRM, which is naughty.

There are justifications other than copyright for someone to object to information being published - for example, if I posted libellous information, I could be ordered to remove it. Similarly, if I stole some confidential information (which is analogous to what has happened here) and put it on the web, I wouldn't be surprised to get a take-down notice.

10. sinizterguy

After exchanging a few PMs with Tim, him explaining his side of it, I dont have a problem with not posting it here. It was only the tone of the first message that set me off. But thats gone now, and common sense is back. So I wont put it in my sig here.

11. DougEdey

But this is the only way to play HDDVDs on linux at this point in time. It took about 2 weeks for it to be discovered, and that was by accident!

12. sinizterguy

How is it confidential if everyone who bought a HDDVD can have this "code" unencrypted in their computers memory ?

Or are you suggesting that whats in my computers memory is now something that I shouldnt be looking into ?

This is just a string of random characters, its not a block of code which does anything illegal, its not libellious or anything of the sort. And again, if it is a passcode into something confidential, change the password.

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Hm, anyone here know if that DMCA ******** applies here in the frozen north? If not, i'm going to whore that key :D

14. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

While the actual law might not apply to Canada I'm sure the MPAA would have no problem pressuring the US government into pressuring the Canadian government into cracking down on people if the issue became that big. I wonder what kind of "interesting twist" the Digg situation provided? Hopefully it's not going to be 10,000 lawsuits against every digg user posting the key.

15. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

How much denial can the AACS be in? Everything they do is broken in a matter of days no matter how awesome they think it is. To most people these numbers are of no value, just the few programmers who cracked it in the first place.

16. aggies11

aggies11 New Member

This is a fantastic issue, and very much about the idea of "free speech".

Should only the *act* be a crime, or can the very discussion of *how* to commit a crime, also be a crime?

Thats the issue in discussion here. Circumventing DRM is a "crime" under the law (at least in the US I guess). However it seems to be argued by these folks that the very discussion of how to circumvent DRM is a crime too. Some people might say "well yeah, how is telling people how to do it, different then actually doing it. It all works out the same in the end".

At first glance that may seem true, but consider this. Imagine if the same was true about *murder*. If the discussion of how to murder someone was also illegal. How many books, movies etc (Murder mysteries!) would then be illegal? By showing a fictionalized murder, you are essentially outlining a blueprint for someone else to re-produce it. Obviously this idea is pure lunacy, and yet, with DRM circumventation it's "OK".

Should the goverment be confined to limiting our *actions*, or can they also have the ability to sanction our thoughts and ideas? Thats the issue at heart in this particular case.

Aggies

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Very good points that are well made, aggies. :thumb:

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

What we're missing here is that this is a tacit admission that AACS, despite the hype, is nothing more than security through obscurity.

Again.

But Tim, I'd prefer to see a much more enlightened attitude from you on this - the DMCA is not law here, and if it causes problems for people in backward, neo-con countries for certain information to be made public by a UK organisation serving pages from a UK server, then let's do that, and bring foreign governments' ineptitude into the spotlight. You wouldn't, I suspect, refuse to publish criticism of the Chinese government on the basis that it's disallowed in China. Would you?

Please don't make Bit-Tech into a US colony.

Phil

19. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Sure about that? :)

Edit: To clarify, I meant to imply that bit-tech might be subject to the same legal restrictions as anyone else in the US, what with having servers there.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Our servers are currently based in the USA - I don't think I need to explain things in any more detail than that. Please get your facts straight before jumping to conclusions about the reasons for my request.

Tags: Add Tags