1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ?? about fiber optic...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MadMan, 25 Jan 2002.

1. MadMan

MadMan What's a Dremel?

I understand with fiber optic cable you usually place it so the light source just shows out the end. I was wondering what would happened if you scuffed a cable up a bit along the whole length, would it light up along the whole length? Or would just it ruin it?

2. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

hmm i think if you scuffed it up with like sandpaper or something it might do that, i'm not sure tho

3. sygyzy

sygyzy What's a Dremel?

Fiberoptics takes light you input from one end and by using some funky (my word when I cannot remember the correct terminology)index of refraction properties, has it repeatedly reflect itself along the length of the cable. The result is that you get the light on the other end with very little loss. By scuffing or damaging the length of the cable, you are defeating the whole purpose of the fiberoptics. If you want a light that glows along it's length get some el-glow wires or glow in the dark string or something. I am not an expert or anything so someone correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, I guess it would "work". You would damage the F.O. and allow light to escape. But that is an odd way to do it.

4. CaRRiT

CaRRiT What's a Dremel?

"total internal reflection" is the name u were looking for :D means that past a certain angle light will no longer leave the glass, it will reflect along the length of it instead.

CaRRiT

5. linear

linear Minimodder

6. sygyzy

sygyzy What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the welcome Linear. I have been itching to join for a while. You might recognize me from the lcdforums.

7. batsman

batsman the quiet one

would it not be as bright though if you scuffed up the edges, as light would be lost as its not be internaly refracted inside but insead just being refracted.

8. MadMan

MadMan What's a Dremel?

Thx, lin, that thread and this one came to the same conclusion I did, I was just asking to "make sure." Yeah, I was thinking these would be cool as ultra-thin EL-wires, but it sounds like it is too tough to get them uniform. My dad works a Tyco Electronics in the fiber optic division though...hmmm, maybe I should see what he can find out. Something "top-secret" no doubt, lol.

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

It done

*breaks out utility knife* cut cut slice slice ow F*****!
    :eek: :mad:
    now that i've had the time to cut myself before working on this concept.... lets see what we get
    damn its hard to sand optical cable (oops broke the little piece)... lets try again
    ahh there we go
    this is what they look like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

forgive the crappy pics... my webcam sucks :rofl:
    note in first picture one on left is scuffed cable, faint little blue dot on right is normal optical cable... second picture is of just scuffed cable

Last edited: 26 Jan 2002
  10. Cheese

Cheese Doc

11. linear

linear Minimodder

I ate a big wedge of nice Gorgonzola for lunch, and you came to mind immediately...

12. Cheese

Cheese Doc

MMm... gorgonzola...

r.