1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Active Directory woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrBurritoMan, 25 Mar 2005.

1. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

My work place is trying to gear up for the new HIPAA laws coming in to effect in the US and one of the things that we need to do is make sure that the computers are locked down and secure. I set up a test AD server so I could get the group policies right without screwing with the users while they are using it. Anyway for those of you who are familiar with ADs and Group policies Please please PLEASE help!!

Here is what I have done so far:

I set up the AD and have some Organizational units in it to divide up the company and rights.
    There is a tree of OUs set up no more than two deep.
    Anyway, I have a small test OU and some users in it. I set a GP on the OU containing the users restricting the use of the right click>properties function on my computer just to test things out.

I set up the client/test PC and logged in to an account within the test OU to try out the group policy. Well needless to say I can right click>properties on my computer just fine without any messages or anything...

It appears that the group policies have not been passed down to the client at all.

Just some information that might be helpful. The server is windows 2000 server and the client is running windows 2000 pro. Both computers are running with sp4 if it helps..... Please this is something that I need to get working ASAP. Thanks!!!!! :thumb:

2. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

im only starting to work with AD also, but have you tried running GPUPDATE at command line on the worstations? this will force the pc's to get the group policy.

3. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

is that utility in the windows 2000 tool kit? because its not native with the windos install on my client computer. i also tried to change the refresh settings on the server for the group policy and to force the security update by typing secedit to force an update. so far nothing has changed...

here is a link to the article i found

Tags: