1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Add-on card rear bracket screws

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 16 Jan 2023.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm feeling really stupid at the moment. I've bought a full size bracket for nV P1000 workstation card that only had half-size bracket. But problem is no screw works with it.

Am I supposed to screw in really hard with regular PC screws?
    Or is there a special screw that wasn't sent/missing?

The original half-size bracket had regular PC screws but looks like it was forcefully enlarged to work with PC screws.
    IMG_3181 (Medium).jpg

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If it's as it looks, drilled out, how about short bolts & nuts to secure it?

3. wyx087

How are they supposed to be secured? A single screw into the bracket, I think. Then the full size one must be on a special thread size?

The half size bracket looks like it had been forcefully screwed in. I guess this isn't how to do it?

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Have you tried optical drive/SSD screws? I've used them before for exactly the purpose you're after. Admittedly, this may have just been on the few cards I had to do it to.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've used a small nut and bolt after stripping the 6-32 UNC case thread although if I remember correctly I used 3mm which didn't need the bracket hole enlarging.

6. wyx087

Finally found the right screw. It's part of a Pi hat stand-off. It's slightly too long and top bit is slightly too small. Both are easily fixed with some washers

The left one is the one that fits with bracket.
    Middle is the one came on the card with half-height bracket, black paint is gone where it screwed into the bracket.
    The right one is HDD screw.

upload_2023-1-17_16-2-38.png

Arboreal likes this.