1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Adding a second monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TrevDX, 4 Jul 2012.

1. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I want to add another monitor to my set-up so that when I'm playing games (mainly Minecraft) I can have other bits and pieces (browser, etc.) on the second monitor.

Couple of things though.

I currently run a U2711 with my GTX570 Phantom which is slightly underpowered for the big hitters but good enough.

However if I add a second monitor will that be too much and I will need to lower settings further on games?

Can the GTX570 even support 2 screens?

I'm not really sure I want to upgrade the GPU at this point so this might bring an early halt to proceedings but should it all work then I'm struggling to get a suitable monitor for my U27.

This looks good Dell P1911 but the 19" screen when vertical is technically larger than the U27 (same res but the P1911 is 408.24mm and the U27 is 335.66mm) Is this going to make a problem outside of them not perfectly lining up?

Or is there another more suitable monitor that someone can recommend? I did see a Dell SE178WFP but that appears to be US only and silver. It doesn't have to be Dell but I do like my U27 :thumb:

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Yes, it can support 2 screens, and yes it will hit performance a little. One other thing that it will do, is not clock down when idle while running 2 screens. It will constantly be at full speed.

Do what I did, and get a crappy GPU for the second screen. I got a GT430 to drive my 20" secondary screen, so my 580s are not compromised, and still clock down.

It was £32 I think. Well worth it.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2012
    TrevDX likes this.
  3. TrevDX

Cheers Pook hadn't thought of that.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It took me a while to come up with it too, so don't worry. Sometimes solutions are too obvious, and too easy... you miss them :)

5. TrevDX

So I've managed to get my housemates old monitor after his PC went kaput. Would this Palit GT520 be suitable for the second screen and do I need any other software?

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Depends what monitor you got from him. :)

7. TrevDX

It's only a 19" just to put a web browser and apps whilst gaming, so I can use the GTX570 solely for the U2711

8. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Any Nvidia card with the right outputs will be fine. You can go back a fair few generations like I have too.

The only other software you might need will be something like DisplayFusion to handle multiple taskbars and what not but this is purely optional.

TrevDX likes this.
  9. TrevDX

Thanks

I knew there was a bit of software mentioned for multiple monitors. Hopefully it'll all work ok now.