1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Adding headphone jack to powered sub/speakers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ufk, 13 Apr 2004.

1. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Anyone got any ideas on how to add a headphone jack to an amplified sub and speaker combination?
    The sub and amp are in one box with sattelite speakers, if it was just the speakers i could do it no problems thats reasonably easy even for a n00b like me, my problem is how to get it to cut the input to the sub when the headphones are plugged in

Unfortuantley no cam so no pics of circuits and the ampboard is buried in hotglue, what i do know is the sattelite speakers share a common ground and leave the circuit board at an entirely different place from the sub, just some basics would be enough

Last edited: 13 Apr 2004
  2. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

if you know where the line in is (unamplified) you could hook a headphone amp up to that, just a simple opamp job would do. :)

Col

3. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

How are the two sat's connected to the sub and to each other. I'm thinking, if the connections are standard RCA then you would have 4 wires running from the sub to the sats. 2 wires are for ground (as you say common) and 2 for +L and +R. I also assume that the sub uses the same ground this; would be critical. If it is the same ground then I would disconnect the sub ground from the amp and disconnect 1 ground to the sats and solder them together. Since the ground is common you would already have the other ground running to the sats. Then in the sat add your headphone jack and use the disconnected ground as the lead to turn off the sub.

It's hard to follow in writing, but if you tell me how the sats are connected (above) then I can make a drawing. I am hoping that the sub connects to one sat and then the sat connects to the other sat.

I also like the opamp idea. :idea:

4. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

[sat]-----------| |----------[sat]​
    | |​
    [sub/amp]​

the sub itself doesn't share the common ground as far as i can tell (leaves board in different place) with the sat speaker outputs which are indeed RCA plugs so no go on that one , however I hadn't thought about cutting the input feed with a headphone jack, the sound card is prolly more than adequate to power a set of ear buds for nowso thats probably the route I'll take till I know more about this kinda stuff (me being a noob I dont even know what an opamp is so a Googling I shall go, electronics isn't my forte car stereo and alarms are , dont need to much much about the gubbins inside the box to fit it ) :D

Thanks for the hints folks I now have a plan :thumb: :clap:

edit bugger centers spelt the american way for the centreing . does it take the brit spelling?