1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Third Monitor to Dual Monitor Setup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by LoneWolf, 25 Oct 2007.

1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf What's a Dremel?

Hey there, got a nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS with dual dvi-ports and s-video jack. I've got a dual VGA setup at the moment but I've recently purchased a 32" LCD TV for my media, I've plugged all three in and can rotate to the TV when required, but the nVidia software won't allow me to run all three at once - is there anyway around this?

2. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

To my knowledge you cant have 3 monitors, it only supports 2 at a time....

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not with that card. You would need to buy another card to run the third monitor.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

or a triple head 2 go from matrox

simple method is to get a cheap pci card tho

5. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

When using the S-Video out, you have to sacrifice one of the VGA/DVI outputs, so the card will still only drive 2 VDU's at any one time (without the use of a matrox dual/tripple head to go).

Depending what OS your running and what your planning to do with the extra screen, you can get either a cheap PCI gfx card for desktop/office type work, or your need another 8800 if you intend to game on it.
    At present there are 2 sets of Nvidia drivers for XP, the set that supports all cards but the 8x00 series, and the 2nd set, which is for use with the 8x00 series cards only.

If your running vista, then Nvidia have released a set of drivers that support the 6x00, 7x00 and the 8x00 series cards, so you may use your present 8800 card along side a PCI 6200 (not yet seen anything higher for PCI cards).

I have a 8800GTX running along side a 6200LE in Vista x64, please note that even though Nvidia do have drivers for vista for the 6,7,and 8 series cards, the drivers are a little buggy, in that anything displayed on the PCI card runs VERY slow, get huge lag, even when dragging a folder window from the pci card to the 8800, not sure if this is the same case for vista 32bit.

I am planning to just get another 8800gtx later in the year when prices drop and use that instead of the PCI card.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the help guys, I guess I'll just rotate the settings when need be.

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

run the two DVI's on a matrox duel head adaptor and then run the svideo on its own :D