1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks ADSL Router - Melted!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilkyboy, 20 Mar 2006.

1. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

Ok so my Router was giving off some really high pitched whining (its usually downstairs) so i covered it with a few cushions, it was under there for about 4-5 hours and i just took it off:

[​IMG]

Check out the molten Router?! What do you think i should do? it still werks, should i keep it or RMA it?

Thort it was just a bit wierd that it got so hot, you could cook an egg!

2. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

Covering electrical stuff is never a good idea. Normally high pitch whining means something is overheating. But I'm sure an RMA will do the trick.

3. Wispa

Wispa What's a Dremel?

That's quite amusing actually :)

Reminds me of melting my transformer toy when I was a young'un. Sat him down on a lamp and forgot about him for an hour or so. :rolleyes:

Thing is.... do you have to explain what happened when you RMA it or will a "oh it melted by itself" excuse work? :)

4. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

You should RMA it.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

The overheating was entirely your fault by covering it up with cushions, cushions are insulators and routers are like computers, cover it with cushions and it will overheat.

But you could try to RMA it, even though you are being unfair!

6. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

I agree i shouldnt have covered it, but i never would have dreamed that it would get that hot! i actually damn near burnt myself when i went to pick it up!

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

They can get very hot, which is I've extended the legs on my router by about an inch to get some air through. The Linksys routers are the worst for overheating due to poor design.

The thing about routers is that they are simple machines and don't have a function where if the cpu overheats the router shuts down!

8. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Just had a switch die at our satellite office from overheating. It had plenty of ventilation, but when I picked it up, I dropped it immediately. Unplugged it and waited a while before chucking it out. Don't remember the brand; it wasn't a quality one anyway.

9. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

ours makes a whining sound. we keep it next to the server anyway so you don't notice it over the noise of the fans. has been going strong for a year and a half.

10. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Linksys are (as already stated) NOTORIOUSLY bad for overheating. Especially the original WRT54gs and WAG54g.
    Only way to fix these buggers is ether...
    Underclock
    Add a HFS

Unfortunatly both will kill the warrentie. Personally i havent done ether (lack of metal for the HSF) and every now and then the router gets VERY hot whilst performing L7 packet inspection for 8 clients.

Thinking about it...anyone got diddly little heatsinks? :D

EDIT:: forgot to say, quite a few Dlink's, Linksys's and Beklin's are exactly the same inside. There reference designs from ether the wireless chip manufacturer or the wonders of chinese outsorced design.

11. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

You can get a pack of little heatsinks from PC World. There's around 3-4 in there IIRC. I got a pack and fitted them to a Buffalo G54, and they are really great, though I still needed to fit a small (40mm) fan (I went for a battery operated one in the end). You may need to be a bit inventive when it comes to mounting them though.

I evetually got bored of this setup, and picked up a Cisco 827 on ebay, maxed out the RAM, and built a wireless gateway from an old laptop. Much better!

12. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I can't believe you covered it with cushions :|

You could try rma'ing it, they might know that it wouldn't get that hot on its own though..

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Places like RS do bulk loads of small HS' for really cheap.

Used em last year during a summer job on the train and bus time display machines a company in kent made.

Bit of heat transfer epoxy kept everything lubberly and cool :D

Tags: