1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks ADSL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [GiB] Spawny, 9 Oct 2001.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I highly recommend smoothwall.

Stick in an old Pentium 233 or somat, with 32mb ram, 512mb hdd (my current config cept I got 48mb ram) and it is more than perfect.

It is basic, but it will allow internal traffic to route out and blocks external, unless you allow it, or request it (ie playing a game)

Does the job just fine and I can game thru it without changing a single setting. And supports USB adsl modems, assuming you have a USB port on the mobo.

2. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

I have all the config to set up the Pro Version of the modem. I will update my findings after the weekend.

Pro version has a 4 port hub ;)

Wish me luck.

3. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Alcatel Pro Ethernet Modem

As promised an update.

Well I spent 4 hours on Friday trying to get this thing to work!

No success.

But.

I spoke to a couple of guys at work and a trip home and all is well and at last I'm sorted.

I'm not going to bore you will the finer detail. I hadn't set a couple of settings on the modem correctly and some DNS settings on the clients. The terminology used in the GUI interface is foreign to me, but makes perfect sense to an ISP/Router type engineer. The only commonality is TCP/IP type settings and LAN config. This is a whole new ball game for me. I will be producing a white paper for the trial.

So what have I got?

The connection is always up, so I can click on IE 6 and it’s their and my email.

No more dial-up :)

So I can surf the net while one of me M8's gives it large online fragging someone. :cool:

Kevo, I'm in that special place :D

Last edited: 30 Oct 2001
  4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Tags: