1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a mixed Fitting/Tubing Combo

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Impatience, 22 Jun 2015.

1. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I'm in planning stages for a fully passive WC build and come across a slight dilemma*.. I have 3/8-1/2 fittings, but unfortunately Mayhems only stock the 3/8-5/8* tubing and bigger.

As the inner diameter is the same for both of them, could I use the Compression fittings as barbs for the larger tubing and then use hose clamps/cable ties for extra security (if needed)?

*Issue arises as i'm making the entire build for under £100..
    **I'm wanting to use Mayhems tubing as it can comfortably sit with the water at 45-50* without dis-coulouring etc!

Should this plan work OK? (Fittings are the Monsoon Compression fittings btw)

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

While you can do that it's often the case that the barbs on compression fittings aren't as pronounced as on the normal barbs, also they're often shorter.

Why not try elsewhere for tubing e.g. C&C. I might have some 3/8"ID, 5/8"OD TFC fittings available, how many would you need?

Edit: Just seen Mayhems notes on the tubing, he's usually way ahead of the game so if he says it won't discolour then it won't. It's cheap too.

It turns out I only have 5 of the TFC fittings left, I'd forgotten I had to use some in a new build as I couldn't get hold of any Bitspower fittings at the time. I do recommend these Barrow fittings though and that's a good price. They're not rebranded Bitspower fittings as some people think but they are very good quality with sharp knurling. Check with the seller if you buy other fittings from the same range though as he now stocks 2 different types of 'silver' finish.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2015
    Impatience likes this.
  3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Thanks for the heads up! I think i'll try to sell my Monsoon's on here, then get a load of the Barrow fittings in the right size for Mayhems tubing! Thanks for the suggestion! :thumb: +rep to you!