1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Advice For Hard Drive Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Exlutonian, 31 Jul 2012.

1. Exlutonian

Exlutonian What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone. Avid reader, first time poster.

So I'm looking to reduce the amount of heat my PC puts out and I figured one way to do so would be to not have my 5 hard drives going all the time. So I've been looking at ways to change this setup and I'm posting here to seek some advice from those more knowledgeable.

So I have 5 HDDs, 1 OS, 2 I use sometimes and 2 I seldom but occasionally access. For now I'm looking at options for the 2 I seldom use.

The options I've considered are either putting in a hot swap bay to swap the drives in as needed, something I'd like to read into. Is this a viable option and does anyone have experience with this?

Alternatively I was considering buying an external caddie for one or both the drives, though the issue for me there is only have 1 eSata port or USB2 and I'd hate for it to becoming considerably slower to copy files.

So if anyone has any advice or recommendations or have attempted a similar goal, I'd appreciate any responses.

Cheers.