1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Advice on Case Fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moody89, 6 Oct 2011.

1. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Hi all, I know there have been quite a few threads on here recently about case fans etc. but I'm just looking for something definitive. Basically, I'm looking to do a complete overhaul of the cooling in my Antec 300 case. I'm going to be buying four new fans in total to replace the stock Antec ones and the two cheap ones I bought when I first got the case. Basically, I'm looking for opinions on the best performing case fans available at a reasonable price. I need two 120mm intake fans at the front and then a 120mm exhaust and a 140mm exhaust. I've heard the Silverstone Air Penetrators excel as intake fans, but what about the exhaust? Have heard good things about Scythe Gentle Typhoons but have also heard of a whine that they give off which I could do without to be honest! Noise isn't too much of an issue since I have a fan controller to adjust the fan speeds etc. so really I'm looking at the best performance. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have a nice quiet system for normal use, but be able to turn the fans up and have good cooling when needs be. Also, on the note of the fan controller, mine is limited to 0.7A per channel which didn't ought to be an issue but just thought I would add that.

Also, eventually I'll be looking to drop an aftermarket cooler on my CPU (yes I'm still on stock HSF atm, but I haven't overclocked yet so saw no need!). I'm looking for the best price/performance cooler. I don't really want to spend a fortune on one since I'm not a heavy overclocker. Have heard good things about the Gelid Tranquilo and the Hyper 212+. In fact I wish I grabbed one while they were £14 on Scan a few months back since they seem to have risen in price more recently. I particularly like that you have the option of adding another fan if needs be. Are there any other coolers I should consider etc.?

Cheers for any feedback guys, it's much appreciated!

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon rated at 1850RPM on the exhaust and then 120mm Akasa Apache up front as intakes. Silverstone Air Penetrators are reasonably good but don't shift quite as much as the Akasa Apache.

3. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

how about the bequiet! dark wings or silent wing design, they also look really good too.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The Silent Wings are good but can't be mounted in all scenarios unlike the Akasa Apache with a traditional fan shroud.

5. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

It's such a shame the gentle typhoons are boring grey colour, I went for some apollish enermax fans recently but I found them a real pain to screw in, do all case fans come unthreaded like that?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.924463,-1.591055

6. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

8. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Cheers for all the feedback guys! I'm looking to buy from Scan but can't seem to find a 140mm version of the Scythe GT, do they do one? If not, can anyone suggest a good 140mm exhaust fan or would I be better off grabbing 2 of the 120mm GTs? I'm pretty certain the Antec 300 allows 120mm fans in the top exhaust as well as 140mm. Would prefer to go 140mm if possible. Also, any ideas on the CPU coolers? Cheers all!

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBH the GT's will beat any 140mm fan...

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ive got a gelid tranquilo CPU cooler and that's quiet while maintaining good temps.

I know that someone will recommend the be quiet dark rock pro/advanced but are quite expensive.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Enermax TB silence are the choice for me, happily running 3 in the front of my case with copper fan frames- tons of air being shifted and I can't hear a thing. Cheaper than the GT's too.