1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Advice on engraving

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Barracuda_00, 17 Jan 2010.

1. Barracuda_00

Barracuda_00 What's a Dremel?

So i´ve recently started engraving after a 2year break ( overseas work etc) and im starting it up again.

[​IMG]

Now some things did mess up :wallbash: but i need to get carbonpaper to get better transfers to the steelsheet. Any input is good input so fire away :clap:
    Questions answerd aswell if you have any.

The tearing on the edges was because of some tape to hold the pic down, will be doing a touchup tomorrow...

2. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Not bad, keep practising. Use your smallest engraving bit and do another pass to make smooth lines.

PS: I'm going to start an engraving project soon (as soon as the case arrives)

3. Barracuda_00

Been using very small diamondcoated bits, a small ball for the general line but it seems as the fine tips chip the spraypaint on the edges.
    Im wondering if doing 3 coats of paint might solve the problem ie 1 black then sand impurities then new coat and finally a clearcoat , just to harden the surface alittle

4. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

For doing lines it's better the cone bit (over metal always use diamond coated ones). With three coats of paint you shouldn't have any problem.
    An advise, after engraving, clean the dust with a cloth and apply clearcoat over all the panel. This will prevent the exposed areas to get rusty.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

After my little bout with engraving, the only thing I can say is just take your time.

I'm hoping to dabble in it a little more myself.

Great stuff in your post though :dremel:

6. Barracuda_00

Didnt get a chance to fix the torn paint in the morning, sitting at work now -.-

Anywho, i went for 2 coats on it before engraving, tho i suspect that not having the sheet slightly sanded before doing the coats might have been the issue with the paint not sticking properly. And from talk with one in the family who´s a painter, doing a clearcoat might help with the paintchipping when doing the engraving, tests will be done next week when the paycheck arrives.

Any questions answerd as i am knowledgeable =)