1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Required: Phone unlocking

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GreatOldOne, 21 Apr 2006.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ok - I have a new phone, but I'd like to unlock my old vodafone Razr so it can be used on any network. Does anyone have any experience in using one of these online unlocking services? If so, which one would you recommend?

Ta,

GOO

2. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Have you thought about posting on a mobile phone forum rather than a PC forum possibly?

3. GreatOldOne

Yes, but as I know that a lot of people on here have unlocked their phones in the past, I thought I'd ask here first. Especially as a) I know a lot of people on here (and they know me) and b) I'm a moderator here.

4. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

Not sure if this is helpfull at all, but the only phones I have ever been able to unlock using info found on the net have been Nokia phones, so either it is a job for some matey boy down at your local markets (or where ever the dodgy people hang out where you live, as for here we have this guy at the market who does phone unlocking for a tenner) or waiting till the right people come across your thread (iirc. Inder used to have quite a lot to do with mobile phones and whatnot)
    hth

5. GreatOldOne

Cheers Felix. I've sorted it out already though. A nice lady at Vodafone helped me out, and gave me the unlock code for nowt. :D

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

no woaaries...lucky you for being able to get a nice lady to talk to, once tried it with orange and I had no luck!
    oh well...

7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

man your lucky sometimes theycharge up to £50 to unlock it.

8. Cirkustanz

Cirkustanz What's a Dremel?

I wish you good luck, but I hope your unlocking and switching carrier experience was better than the one I had. I bought a motorola v360 OEM version, it's the one y ou buy in europe not the carrier specific ones like in the US. Anyway, I wanted the phone because it supported all 4 GSM bands unlike the Tmobile phone which was only a 3band GSM. Also, I was considering working for Cingular, and I wanted a phone that could support Push-To-Talk. Cingular doesn't carry the v360, and I don't like the phones they have that do.

Anyways, an unlocked phone also means a couple other things, especially for data and voicemail services from one carrier to the next. For example, the phone I have technically can send emails direct from the phone, without using the SMS to 500 trick, without signing up your pop mail account on the tmobile website. I never could find the information for how to configure it, and contacted multiple departments in tmobile (ie: departments that could not speak english as they were located in that one country we all know and love for phone support).

On top of this, whenever I would get a voicemail message, instead of the usual text message that tells you that you have a new voicemail message, it was simply a single ASCII character. I didn't notice that scenario for about a week. The way to fix it involves uploading new seems into the phone. As the v360 is relatively new, there was really no way to be sure that the seem I was looking at would be correct, and would even work. The smart thing was to just "tolerate" it.

Another wierd obscurity pertained to receiving data messages. I would receive a message, read it, and everything would be fine. Until I went to delete the message. At this point, if the message had not yet gone to the :expired: status, it would get sent to me again. VERY frustrating, as it is something I was doing on a regular basis.

Tmobile phones are preprogrammed with that service information, and after 3 days of exchanging emails back and forth, and probably 2 hours on the phone, it was finally determined that they had no way of telling me that information. To make it really funny, even a tmobile phone of the same model, could not DISPLAY that settings information for me, as the tmobile phones being carrier specific, do not generally allow you to edit that information.

To make a long story short, I'd encourage you to consider trialing the service you are wanting to switch to, before submitting to some form of contract. Another option of course would be to sell your current phone and just get a new one.

That's exactly what I did. I'm still with the same carrier and now I don't have a reason to switch, so I am back to using my original handset. My next phone will likely be a PEBL. But I'm definately just getting the tmobile brand handset, instead of dealing with getting everything to work with an OEM one.

(oem is a different scenario technically, but since you mentioned switching carriers, I'm sure my situation applies)