1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adware on XP driving me crazy!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Henchman:crg, 10 Dec 2006.

1. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

You may have seen that I have posted another thread about new install, but my existing PC is also using XP Pro, but I keep getting adverts popping up from I don't know where, when hovering over links, etc.
    I have run my pestpatrol to find and remove, but no luck.
    Any ideas how I can solve this?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Put up a screenshot of your running procsses :) Also, what firewall are you running? Tried Adaware? Using firefox?

3. Henchman:crg

Using zone alarm, also got my router set up to block everything, using firefox and only have pest patrol, but it doesnt stop the adverts, not a normal looking window, suspect java or flash based.
    Will screen shot next time it happens.

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

You sure it isn't just intellitxt ads?

5. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Does it happen on every site? For example here at bit-tech?

And I'm trying to find a site with intellitext, but for the life of me can't do it. Only when you don't want it I guess ;)

Someone want to post a site with intellitext to compare?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Like bindi says: We need a screenie of your running processes.

It's not the old windows messenger service pop ups is it? Are they web page pop ups or do they look like system windows that pop up up?

7. Henchman:crg

The don't look like normal Windows dialogs, more custom drawn.
    Havnt worked out when and where they appear yet, seems a bit random at the moment, trying to get more an a consistent pattern formed.

Going to have to resort to keeping a log I think over the next few days, although I am currently switching from my current PC with this problem to a new computer completely installed from scratch.

I intend to be using both for a while though, until I am happy the new computer has everything working as I require.

8. Henchman:crg

9. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

You can stop it with adblock, or other ways, which you can find by googling, but just remember that like the ads here on bit, the websites will depend on the intellitext ads for revenue, and if you block the ads, you're contributing to the site's eventual demise ;)

But it'snothing on your cmputer, solely on the website's end, so no worries there ;)

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Here's another if you want confirmation: http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/12/11/overclocking-guide-part-1-uk/

They're usually a different colour to "real" links and obvious enough. Just don't move the mouse along the line while you're reading, you're old enough now to read without that help. :p

Wot Callum said.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2006
  11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

IntelliTXT ads are normally used by sites who have found too many people are using Ad blockers.

(I want to know what the spammer was spamming)

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Check his other posts, pointless one-liners. :grr:

13. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

but surely you can block the intellitext too lol.. in fact id say more people will block those than normal ads, as standard ones dont popup all over the bleeding place and piss you right off

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats why 99% of websites use it as a last gasp effort. Its also why I don't block sites I use regularly (i.e. more then once).

There probably are intellitext ad blockers out there, but they are probably not very good as I think its generated after a page is loaded on your end using javascript.

15. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Tbh I don't see the problem with most ads (as long as they don't have sound). They help keep sites going. I agree Intellitxt are more annoying than some, but as long as you don't hover over them, then you'll be fine.

16. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Download the NoScript ad-on for firefox to block intelitxt. It works for me.