1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Again with the Indigo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ouches, 1 Aug 2003.

1. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

Ive finally managed to get around to a starting a case mod which my brother isn't screaming at me to do for his lazy ass (which all sucked on purpose).
    Anywho, this mod will be comprised of converting the ever-popular Iris Indigo, which I'm sure you've all seen before (if not, visit here, http://www.sgiaddict.net/indigo/) to a PC. Planned mods include getting the pc components in while keeping the indigo as stock looking as possible(with one exception...). This will involve gutting the PSU, the drive sleds, and a Zapwizard style connector mod that allows for the stock connectors to remain in place, as well as be functional.
    Current specs are:
    Asus P38-f mobo.
    Stock p3 600e.
    Voodoo 3 16mb vid card.
    Sound Blaster Live Value.
    512 mb of pc100 SDRAM.
    20gb hd.
    Hopefully I will be able to get a slot load dvd as that will make things much simpler on my part.
    Are there any pics you ask? Why of course the are.
    [​IMG]
    Original PSU with side cover off (didnt bother with a good pic)
    All of the componets were removed save for the speaker, reset switch, power switch, and the power input/output port(Had to put them back as the ones of my donor psu didnt match the slot)
    Then the donor PSU(cheap 300W one) was gutted of everything except the board and voltage switch. I was going to use velcro to mount the board in the original casing, but I didnt want to stick the pads onto the pcb, thus came these babies.
    [​IMG]
    Once fastened on, they took up too much space inside the PSU casing, so they too were "gutted".
    [​IMG]
    Once that was done, the board was mounted, some cables were routed, ect, and finally we have voila.
    [​IMG]
    Not done, but certainly on the way.The reset swich which will become the power on swicth has yet to be wired, and the extra fans have yet to mounted.Later on I may make a 90 degree connector for the cables sticking out of the PSU, but its late and my unfinished English Total War campaign is calling.
    More tommorow.
    (Thanks to FLECOM for the PSU mods, as they are almost identical to his, except more ghetto.)

2. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

It seems I've severely underestimated the popularity of the Indigo... Anywho, heres a peek at my indigo, which looks the same as the rest of em, but what the hell...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As well as the crappy second hand parts that Ive managed to put together for this project.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy, or not, whatever.

3. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

conversion mod lovin... where the heck do you ppl find these things!?! ;)

4. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

I got two of them from the ebay auction warehouse I worked at. We didnt have any sgi keyboards on hand and they werent valuable enough to sell untested, so I just saved them from the dump.

5. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

The PSU is finnaly done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Except for the cables, it looks stock, which is good. Too bad it seems to have died on me after 10 mins of use.

6. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

I might not be understanding the end product, but I highly recommend using something other than those cut off keys? They appear to be crossing several solder joints and you are asking for a nasty burning and popping and fire causing accident upon first power up.

7. Ouches

Ouches What's a Dremel?

I noticed this problem after the first power-up while fixing a grouding issue, although none of the after effects you mentioned occured. It has now been fixed using some really small spacers. Thanks for the warning though.
    The object is to get this Indigo to look as much like a real one as possible, so that it wouldnt be possible to discern that this is a pc from a simple glance. That is unless one were to glance at my screen and have prior knowledge of the fact that no one has yet succesfully run windows on an Indigo.

8. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

looks promising :) i dont visit these forums as much as i used too, this is the first indigo ive seen. so im looking forward to the final result.