1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Cooling Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JazzXP, 26 Oct 2003.

1. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Okay, I guess it's not "Extreme Kooling", but I thought this might be the best place to put it (mod's feel free to move it if it work be better in Hardware/Overclocking).

I've just bought myself a P4 3.0 and was wondering 2 things. Is the standard cooler any good (I'm not overclocking, but it does get hot here in summer), or should I buy a better cooler?

And the second question is if I keep the standard cooler, what's the best way of removing the thermal pad (I'll be putting some Artic Silver 3 on instead).

2. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

i personally dont use the stock Intel heatsink but i have read reviews that say it is a fine heatsink. also the thermal pad can be revoved by rubbing it off with a tissue (i do this) or using abit of alcohol to rub it off. All the thermal pads i have removed form heatsinks have been that gum like stuff and come off quite easily.

3. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Thanks. I might give the stock one a bit of a go, and if it's running too hot, I'll change it over. Oh, what temp is normal for a P4 3.0C to run at?

4. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

the stock one is fine, but your temps might get a little high if you work the cpu, like during game play or divix encoding or folding (you are folding right?) and while they are quite, i upgraded to a zalman cnps 7000CU and it works great, around 10c cooler at load if not more, and it is quitier cant ask for too much more. but if you dont wont to go high end air, you can stick with stock cooling, if you dont overclock the cpu they are great HSF in my opinion.

5. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

normal running temperature is based on the efficiency of the heatsink, if you have a good heatsink you can get around 10-12C aboive ambient at idle and about 20 above at full load. the CPU should never run hotter than 60C for very long as this can seroiusly reduce its lifespan.

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

the retail hsf is ok, but its worth getting an aero 4 or suchlike for when the ambient is warmer. dont bother removing the thermal pad underneath as its very good (not pink goo).