1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V AKG K240 mkii - weird audio problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 18 Aug 2020.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My youngest has a pair of AKG k240 MkII headphones, and he came to me and said the sound started to go funny. Sure enough, when I tried them, part of the audio sounds muffled/distorted like it's underwater.

There's no obvious signs of damage to the headphones so I got another cable. Same problem.

I sent that back and bought a different cable - problem persists.

If I pull the plug out 2 to 3 mm it sounds fine, but it's literally sitting so loose in the jack that the weight of the cable alone can pull it free. The original cable is the same.

I'm confused - any ideas?

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't have those, but my thoughts are;

- Dry solder joint somewhere in the headphones, probably around the jack area.

- Buggered jack

3. David

Can't be a buggered jack - this happens on whatever 3.5mm jack I plug it into, regardless of what cable I use. Bear in mind it sound fine when I pull it out a couple of mm.

That's why I'm confused

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK.

Are the headphones 4 prong? is the socket 4 prong?

It will likely be a combination of the two if one is 3 pin.

I have had that issue with modern headphones in the past, and sockets etc.

5. Vault-Tec

6. David

You mean four pole vs three pole 3.5mm jack plug?

It's a three pole cable, but they've been working fine on the same PC since last August

Last edited: 18 Aug 2020
  7. Vault-Tec

Hmm. Deoxit?

8. liratheal

Oh, I meant buggered on the headphone side.

9. David

Deox what though?

The cables are new - it happens on whichever device I plug them into and, if it was a problem at the headphone end (which is clean), why would backing out the 3.5mm jack a couple of mm fix the audio?

See what I mean about confusing? It doesn't make sense.

10. Vault-Tec

The socket? maybe it's got some oxidisation on the pins inside?

11. liratheal

I'd be wrist deep in screwdrivers and teardown instructions at this point, but that's just the kind of weirdo I am.

12. David

I can see the three pin connector clearly - the pins and the contact plate are bright and clean. Again though, if that was the problem, how/why would this be affected/rectified by backing out the jack at the other end of the cable? I'm at a loss to grasp the possible causes of this.

13. Vault-Tec

I have had this issue before. The pins on the male end pretty much can't be damaged ever. However, the pins inside can.

There is one way I can think of to determine if the socket is damaged. You know how you said if you pull it out a bit etc? well do that and then run a proper stereo test (where it tests left and right speakers). If it is not running MONO through a short (which is usually what happens when you pull out like that (*sniggers* :D ) then it is highly likely the socket.

If it still runs in stereo like that? it's probably still the socket. I have read through this three times and just so I am not being a total idiot have you tried the headphones on something else?

14. David

Like I said, the pins in the socket on the headphones are clean and straight - there is no obvious issue with that socket. the OTHER end of the cable (the 3.5mm audio plug) is the one I have to back out of the port a few mil to get decent audio. It is in stereo.

I have been through three headphone cables and the problem persists. I have tried the headphones on my son's PC onboard audio, and with a USB sound card. I've also tried them on my PC, onboard and with a different USB soundcard.

Nothing about this makes sense.

I've been through the usual processes of eliminating possible causes - three cables and four different audio sources. I'd normally be pointing at the headphones as damaged/faulty but when I can get seemingly perfect audio by manipulating the opposite end of the cable, any cable, it throws doubt on why the headphones are the source of the fault.

I was wondering if it was an impedance issue, but how that would manifest and why it would suddenly appear is beyond me.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2020
  15. liratheal

Hum.

I still suspect the jack on the headphones, sounds like something is misaligned/iffy if twiddling the other end 'fixes' the problem.

16. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Probably the socket based on my limited experience. I have exactly the same problem with the socket on the back of my TV. Like you I went through a few different cables, all with the same result.

17. FILIPE MALISKA

FILIPE MALISKA What's a Dremel?

Same headphone and same problem!so weird
    Did you solve the problem?