1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Alienware M9750 not booting to windows

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by foxpoo, 29 Nov 2010.

1. foxpoo

foxpoo Thumb it in

Good afternoon all,

I’m hoping someone can kindly help me out with a problem I have. In early 2008 I bought an Alienware M9750 laptop for just under £2k. With hindsight I wish I’d never bought the poxy thing but that ship has sailed. I recently gave it to my mother as her old PC mboard and graphics card died, plus I recently finished building the premium player rig for myself :)

She reported a problem and I popped round expecting a quick fix, but no, there were vertical lines on the BIOS screen and the windows login screen was blank. After very little deliberating I decided to use the Alienware restore feature for two reasons

1) To delete my past use of the PC and start afresh
    2) To hopefully resolve the problem.

No joy at all, now it BSODs on me during start-up then reboots itself… ad infinitum.

Alienware support is non existent :( Grateful if someone can advise me if there is anything I can do

James

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Has it been kept in a 100% dust free environment? If not then many a laptop suffers from dust build up.

So it could be as simple as overheating, but it's more likely to be something else as well. You could try switching off everything you can in the bios (I had a Dell M90 that wouldn't boot once the wifi module died) and trying again.

You could also try a linux live CD of some flavour. Try and diagnose the hardware issue (if there is one)

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Getting a hold of the BSOD would help. When the machine is booting through BIOS, repeatedly press F8 until you get the menu asking you what type of boot you want. Choose to Disable Automatic Reboot and then load Windows. Write down the BSOD and let us know.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Vertical lines in bios usually are a symptom of a dying gpu or gfx ram

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

yeah, i would take out the memory, and reseat it, as the first test, then try with 1 stick at a time, testing each.

failing that, it is likely to be a failing gpu.

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

It sounds like its dying...test the memory because that is easy to replace..failing that if its the gfx or CPU guess what your buying mummy for xmas...:blah:

7. foxpoo

foxpoo Thumb it in

LOL, thanks guys, I'll try all of the above this week and report back