Alternative Ocing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mayze, 18 Mar 2002.

1. Mayze

Mayze PH34R my ROBO Squirrel!

i just got a manual for my mobo (finally! :rolleyes: ). the manual tells me i can only use up to a 333 mhz processor. are there more ways to overclock besides editing the bios? jumpers on the mobo perhaps?

Keep in mind, im new to the world of oc ing, so please dont laugh at this question :p

2. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

With a mobo that old (no offense, I've got a PII300 stashed away somewhere..:D ) You would most likely have a jumper setting on the mobo, where you can change the clock multiplier..)

Which mobo and CPU is it?

3. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Like Korben said, there are almost guaranteed to be jumpers for setting the CPU on a motherboard that old! have a good look at the manual, and it should tell you exactly which they are.

4. Mayze

Mobo: PcChips M715
    Processor: Pentium II 233 Mhz

i was planning on getting a 333 but i got my income tax money today...1 Ghz + HERE I COME!@!!!!!!!

5. Mayze

the manual the jumpers go to 366 mhz, but the jumpers arent where it says they are. stupid manual. its the right manual too. :( well, whatever

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

As a point of interest, I do actually have an LX chipset PII board which has BIOS settings for CPU speed. My father has a 430TX (remember them?) socket 7 board with BIOS settings as well. They were around way back when...

7. Mayze

yea, mine has bios settings..I'm running a 233 Mhz, oc'd it to 266. When i try to oc it to 300 (the next setting), it runs at 133 Mhz. Also tried the 4th and final setting...333 Mhz, does the same thing, runs at 133...that sucks. but, i dont have to worry about it soon because im getting a new mobo and an AMD 1700+/266 FSB Athlon XP

8. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

Cool, I wish I could afford a new CPU...

Did you increased the CoreV when you tried 333? (As a newbie to this, please confirm my thoughts, someone:D ) , but for my Athlon 750 i need to up the core to 1.85V if I want to approach 900+

9. Mayze

i woulda "increased the CoreV" if i knew what you were talking about :confused:

10. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

Sorry..newbie forgetting his roots...:p

It's amazing how quickly one adopts the language...:D

On the mobo you have settings for the voltage supplied to the processor. On mine the default setting is 1.7V, but as you overclock the processor needs more and more power, and you have to increase the voltage to the CPU. In your mobo manual there should be a section describing changing this, however, normally you should NOT increase it more than 10%.

11. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Your motherboard MAY not have voltage adjustments. I have 4 motherboards, only two of which support voltage adjustments.

12. Mayze

this is the only thing i could find in the mobo manual about voltage...am i on the right track or no? isnt DIMM memory? lol.

[​IMG]

13. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

in my mobo manual its Vcore not coreV - slight difference - may help ??:confused:
    i only got one (operational) mobo and it has Vcore adjustment, not that i'm OCing it :p

14. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

No, these jumpers do indeed set the voltage for the RAM. They will not affect the CPU, therefore meaning that changing them will not make the system any more stable when overclocking. Just make sure they are set correctly for the memory you use, and don't change them!

15. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

I've seen both, but just to make it clearer let's call it CPU core voltage.. :D

Here is the picture from my A7V mobo manual:

[​IMG]

As IsaacSibson said, you might not be able to modify yours...:unsure: