1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Aluminium Coolers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Isuo, 14 Nov 2004.

1. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Ok, I'd like to know if alminium coolers are any good. In quesion form: Do aluminium coolers pay back themselfes?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

:confused: :confused: :confused:

How do you define: "paying"?

3. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

I mean, like are they worth the money they cost.

4. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

...zuh? You mean like heatsinks? Aluminum is the cheapest..

5. Nexxo

How do you define "worth it"? It all depends on the performance you seek, and the price you are willing to pay for it. Then there is the fact that aluminium heatsinks vary widely in performance, as well as price. So you're basically asking something like: "How long is a piece of string?".

It is better to ask yourself: how cool do I want to run (and do I want to overclock), and how much money am I prepared to pay for that?

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

why do you want aluminium specifically, copper > aluminium

7. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Noooo, I'm getting mad.
    No, I don't want alu heatshrinks, but coolers, the things that go rooooound. You know...

SO, because they cost about $15, about a third more than the normal coolers made of plastic. <--has actaully nothing to do with the point

And I'm curious about the actual thing, that are they worth the money they cost. I've read some interesting reviews, but I'd like to know more personal experiences abou them. Like, are they noisy in reality ect.

8. Nexxo

FANS! You're talking about FANS! NOW I get it! :duh:

The best aluminium fan (in my opinion) was the Panaflo FBA-12G12L 120mm fan. Unfurtunately these are not made anymore. Other aluminium fans exist, in various sizes and qualities. Generally they share the same characteristics as plastic fans in terms of performance, noise etc. Perhaps now we have established the subject :p others here can tell you their personal experiences...

9. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Goodie good... Sorry was my mistake, not remembering the word _fan_, I just tought thay were coolers, sorry again... But please, all you who have got aluminium fans please tell your personal toughts and experiences about them.

10. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Heh don't worry about it. The rest of your vocabulary and especially your grammar and structure is quite good for a Finlander. :)

Well, they look cooler, they're more robust and less prone to breakage. Other than that...exactly the same as plastic. Same noise, same airflow. Just that you can run them over with a car and not break it.

11. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Ok, so alu fans are more durable and don't brak up so easily, but all the other specifications are the same. So do you suggest to buy one of them or should I stick with the plastic ones? And if someone gets fed up woth my questions, don't worry you don't have to bear them. But I'm just asking them cause I'm really curious about the aluminium coolers.

12. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

metal bladed fans are good for increasing the chances for severed appendages, also.

fan grills are a MUST if it is accessable to fingers and cats and babies.

13. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Just get plastic. I don't see why you'd need aluminum. I've never had a plastic fan housing break, they're made of very durable and thick plastic. Maybe get aluminum for aluminum fan blades (be careful, many are plastic blades in an aluminum housing, or just chrome painted plastic) if you have problems with fan brades braking...like if you like to stick things into a fan while it's on..but uh, you really don't need aluminum otherwise.

14. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

agree :)

conventional fan and glossy chrome spray paint :dremel:

15. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the anszers. I think I'll stick to plastic then, and just paint them.

16. Nexxo

Very few fans come with metal blades, and certainly none of the mainstream aluminium PC ones. Nevertheless even plastic blades can do a fair bit of damage if you're not careful.

17. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

About the grills, I never actually tought about installing a case fan without the grill, or atleast a dustcover. So fingers will be safe...

18. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I had 2 120mm alu fans on my radiator and liked them enough. They don't spin fast enough to draw blood. I got them because I like the way they look, the silver aluminum frame compliments the black aluminum case and radiator very well.

Tags: