Modding Aluminum Case or Acrylic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by [t0rc], 28 Nov 2003.

1. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Heres the dilemma. I'm debating between using Acrylic or to use this aluminum sheets that are about 1/4'' thick Kinda like
    Anyways, I was leaning towards the aluminum because it's definetly static resistant and much easier to drill. Plus you don't have to worry about scratching it up as easily. I am also in need of some ideas for drive bays. If I got with aluminum I believe I'm going to put in a custom window I will make. This whole case is being custom made by me. BTW, anyone have any good case shape suggestions?

Which would look better? I am going to also add some outside lighting with LED's and some liquid neon strips. Does anyone have any pictures of ZapWizards Slot DVD drive with a color other than red?

2. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Hope you got some good tools to work 1/4" ally , as for drive bays just stelth with ally there are lots of guides in hear .
    seek and ye shal find good luck hope it gose well & post pics when done or as work in progress :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

3. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

aluminum...
    rectangle...
    pancake shape...
    pyramid?..... :eeek:

4. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

An all tinted plexi case would look nice. That way you can only see in when there are lights on.

5. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

updated situation

Well I have decided to go with aluminum. But I cannot decide what to do with all the extra plexi I have. I am thinking to make a window in the aluminum case. But I was also thinking about shooting the plexi with a gun, cuz that crapz pretty damn strong, and then making a case out of that. Kinda war torn look. Then I thought about shooting a piece of plexi and then using it to make the window in the aluminum case. Anyways, post away! I need some opinions.

:|: Diskreet :|: As of right now the case is going to be rectangular. But I have been thinking about making it cone shaped....

:|: Jay :|: Tools arent a problem. heh. And I'm checking into the stealthing. I'm thinking about mounting two vertical slot loading Pioneer 160s. Pics will be taken, and if all goes well and looks well, it will be released. Im hoping to take a pic of a sheet of shot up plexi and post it in here, but I need to be at my own house first... lol.

:|: Nzc :|: I may actually make another case out of tinted acrylic/plexi. Later tho...

6. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

I dont know where that came from but i bet if someone makes a pyramid or cone shaped case it will look amazing. Something uniquie, you know? Imagine someone building one to look just like an Egyptian pyramid. ooooOOOOOOOOooooo :eeek:
    That would be so nice

7. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

Re: updated situation

Calibre? I wouldn't do anything larger than .22.
    9mm MAYBE. if it's 1/4 inch plexi.

still. it WOULD look awesome.

8. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Roger That

Yes, it's 1/4" plexi. And do you think that 1/4" thick aluminum would tear from a 9mm or .22??

9. Bossman

Bossman What's a Dremel?

Your making the whole case from 1/4" Aluminium or just the front?

10. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

yeah the whole case, minus a plexi window. :rock: :rock: :rock: Anyone know what the voltage going into a USB keyboard is.