1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Aluminum sizes...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Device Unknown, 18 Jul 2011.

1. Device Unknown

Device Unknown What's a Dremel?

Is their a general consensus on thickness of aluminum to use for these scratch builds?

Angles:
    Sheets:
    Exterior walls:
    Mounting pieces i.e. Drive cage:
    Corners:
    Replacement Drive faces:

Or is their a one size fits all, say, 1/8th inch thick?
    I know some prefer to use thicker, but what would the minimum be for those listed above?

What kind is best for polished fascia or flexibility? machine-ability? Harder or Softer Aluminum?

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Depends very much on the nature of the case and how much equipment is going inside ( weight wise ), and whether you need it to be portable or easy to transport as such.

For building a sturdy frame I would use either 1/16" ( 1.5mm ) wall square tubing or 1/8" ( 3mm ) angle generally- so long as it's bolted together well it should be very strong but quite light too.

For outer panels and mounting parts ( drive cages, mobo tray ), probably 1/8" again.

For decorative pieces like drive faces then thinner stuff is fine, 1/16" of there abouts- some guys use thicker stuff if it it called for asthetics wise, very much depends on your design requirements.

If you look at Attila's work then you'll see he uses a wide variety of thickness', anything from 1/16 or 1/32 for decorate internal pieces to hide wiring and such, right upto something like 10mm to form the backbone or skeleton of a case- again, depends very much on the design of the case ( simple box-like structure with simple angles or something much more architectural and open-framed as it were ).

I would look at this page to see which grades are best for certain attributes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

Broadly speaking though 6061 & 7075 are used for their strength and machinability- 7075 being the stronger but more pricey ( used in the r/c industry for premium parts, 6061 for normal strength ). I would try to avoid the softer grades really as they dont flex well & bend and dent easily- not a good attribute really.

You could do far worse than look at Atilla & Cheapskate's builds to get some ideas...

3. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

I found a place in Seattle that sells 1/2" thick 3" wide bars. So I can get a 6' length and then custom make my posts and mill (file) out the shapes.